S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch woes - clutch change - feels like garbage

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, got the car up on stands and removed the slave cylinder. The clutch fork and the slave cylinder rod are DRY AS A BONE.

So I'm quite confident this is the issue, but didn't have time to grease it up and reassemble, will get to that tonight and report back.

-Towels
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM

So... don't press the clutch if you've disconnected the slave cylinder. =)

Internals popped out, so now fluid leaked everywhere and it is difficult/impossible to reassemble under pressure. So, screw it. I'm just going to buy a new slave cylinder. The rod inside it was pitted to hell anyway due to being dry and it's the original cylinder with 77k on it. The rest of the clutch system (minus the fork) is new.

Also, the bearing on the clutch fork seems really loose (and quite dry). Wish the shop has mentioned that, I would have replaced it as well during the clutch swap. Now I can't do anything about it short of removing the transmission.

Lessons learned.

-Greg
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM

Got my replacement slave cylinder in today. And while I don't think it was at all necessary to replace the one I had ( I could have simply disconnected the fluid to release pressure and put it back together ) now I have a new one so the entire clutch system minus the clutch fork is new. That and lubing parts that are supposed to be lubed... made it a night and day difference.

There is still a tiny bit of noise when I depress the clutch but it's about 75% quieter.

TLDR: If your clutch is notchy, squeeky or doesn't travel properly check out your slave cylinder it may need replacing or lubing.

-Greg
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Well back again. Clutch feels like garbage honestly. Way worse than stock.

It's much more difficult to press down, let up, engages super high. Ugh, I'm super disappointed that I spent all this money on nice/new parts and the outcome is way worse than factory.

The slave cylinder swap helped a bit, but it's still quite terrible. Probably the second worst clutch I've ever driven on really detracts from the car and if I want to let a friend drive I have to warn them how horrific it is. (It's still drivable but just way harder because the clutch travel is not a fluid motion but a jerky uncontrollable one and then it engages super high.)

I've moved 1700 miles from the shop that installed everything, as mentioned, so I can't bring it back to them. Were I to take it to a dealer, anybody have any idea what they would do?

EDIT: Should I be contacting ACT to complain about the clutch?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Using your pinky finger, with very light pressure (no more than you would poke yourself in the eye) check your clutch pedal free play. How much is there?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Just went out and gave it a press, zero play.

-Greg
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by WarTowels
Well I've put about 8,000 miles on the clutch swap now.

OEM bearings
ACT HD Clutch
ACT pressure plate
Prolite flywheel

At first, it was phenomenal. The caught super low and felt great. Barely any more effort was required, it felt like the stock clutch but with a much lower engagement point. That was the first 500 miles or so.

I've since put on around 8k+ and I absolutely hate the clutch setup now. It feels absolutely nothing like it did when I first got it.

It requires more effort now, makes a squeak when I engage the clutch in neutral and feels "notchy" all the way up. The first 2" of travel are one notch and then after that the rest feels like it has resistance going up. Not smooth at all.

Also the engagement point has gone from near the bottom to back at the top. Barely 2" of clutch travel are necessary for shifting now.

I was very easy on the clutch during break in, shifting as smooth and as low in the RPM as possible. Most of the miles I've put on are highway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Towels
How does the fluid look after 8k? Have you changed it since the install?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM

When I swapped out the slave cylinder a month or so ago I did another flush and the fluid at that point was still very clean. I suspect it still is, but will have to confirm.

-Greg
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by WarTowels
When I swapped out the slave cylinder a month or so ago I did another flush and the fluid at that point was still very clean. I suspect it still is, but will have to confirm.

-Greg
Out of curiosity, why didn't you go with OEM clutch kit and fly wheel?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Hoping to put a comptech or the like supercharger on within the lifetime of this clutch and wanting more clamping power.

I'm also of the mindset if you're already there might as well upgrade and have heard plenty of good reviews for light flywheels.

-Greg

Quick Reply: Clutch woes - clutch change - feels like garbage