S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch went out. need help asap

Old 02-09-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 9 2006, 08:06 PM
An S2000 is not to be towed. It must be flatbedded (see owner's manual).
Can you tell if the clutch is stuck in the engaged or disengaged position?
Any other details you might care to share. Is this car new to you? Previous owner? Do you know if the clutch delay valve has been messed with?
More details may refine my response but for now, I think your problem will be between the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing. I think the hydraulics is fine, but something in the area I mentioned has dislodged or has broken.
Yeah I just read the manual too. I'm just going to flatbed tow it tomorrow. I just remember depresssing the clutch to go into 3rd gear and it stuck in and didnt release. At the same time, I noticed that I couldnt shift to 3rd, obviously if the clutch didnt come out I guess. That's about it. The car hasnt been messed with. It was owned by an older guy who only drove it 7k miles after almost 2 years. I dont really thrash it, I have 2 cars. I do do some spirited driving when I'm in a hurry but that's not even up to redline, usually shifting at 6k. The last time I took the car in was November for my 7k mile service interval. I had the dealership run a history of the car before I bought it last early september but it just showed the rear mirror fell off and a replacement reglued. Was about it.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by preludexl,Feb 10 2006, 12:46 AM
At the same time, I noticed that I couldnt shift to 3rd, obviously if the clutch didnt come out I guess.
To clarify ............................. normally, when clutch pedal is to the floor, clutch is disengaged. When the clutch pedal is up, clutch is engaged. If your clutch was fully disengaged (like it would be if the pedal is on the floor), you would be able to shift into almost any gear you like (except maybe 1st or reverse). The fact that you can't get it into 3rd indicates that your clutch is fully or partially engaged. If your pedal is stuck on the floor, your release fork may be broken or seized or popped out of its anchor or the slave cylinder came off like Cdelena said or the slave cylinder plunger has come out of the release fork socket and pushed past it.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 9 2006, 11:06 PM
To clarify ............................. normally, when clutch pedal is to the floor, clutch is disengaged. When the clutch pedal is up, clutch is engaged. If your clutch was fully disengaged (like it would be if the pedal is on the floor), you would be able to shift into almost any gear you like (except maybe 1st or reverse). The fact that you can't get it into 3rd indicates that your clutch is fully or partially engaged. If your pedal is stuck on the floor, your release fork may be broken or seized or popped out of its anchor or the slave cylinder came off like Cdelena said or the slave cylinder plunger has come out of the release fork socket and pushed past it.
Well turns out a O ring was the culprit. It busted and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. The factory paid for the tow, the fix, and offered me a rental since my airbag light was on and they needed a part to fix it. I'm happy with the service but I dont know if the leak happening in the middle of traffic has caused any permanent damage or not. Thanks for all the info guys, it made sense.