S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch vibration help please!, not typical buzz

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch vibration help please!, not typical buzz

I recently purchased my s2k, 35 k miles, very good condition. Just recently my clutch pedal started vibrating on high rpms.

For example: if i press clutch pedal all the way in, rev to 7k while still having the pedal all the way in, i can feel a vibration through my pedal. Its a very fast vibrstion that almost makes my foot tingle. Any advice would b greatly appreciated, especially if tbis is something that could cause other issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

uh oh that doesnt sound too good. vibration in the clutch pedal could indicate internal engine damage. lets wait for somebody more knowledgeable to chime in.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM

The motor sounds like ots running fine, and this only happens high rpms.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM

Any input from the gurus?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing that comes to mind is adjust the clutch pedal. If the clutch isnt disengaging all the way it could cause the vibration your feeling.

There is a rod with an adjustable locking nut on it that goes into the clucth master cyl. You crack the nut loose and then spin the rod to adjust the play in the clucth pedal.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275...ge-this-early/

Half way down that thread are some nice pics and instructions.

If this does not fix it, maybe you need to regrease your pilot/throwout bearing. Throwout you can do with the transmission still on the car. Just need a grease gun and a flashlight.

Lastly and i hope its not this, but you can measure the ammount of crank thrust when you press the clucth pedal down. If your thrust washers are bad it will cause the crank to "walk" towards the front of the engine when you press the pedal down and then it will oscillate causing the vibrations.

To check the thrust you can grab a gauge from harbour freight with a magnent on it. mount it somewhere in your car and place the tip on your crank pully. Then have someone press the pedal down and see how far the crank moves. I forget what is an acceptable ammount but im sure someone will chime in soon.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Pushing the pedal down is not a good way to check the crank thrust, because there is nothing to return the crank to the forward position once the pedal is released and you will not get a proper reading.

I would immediately measure the crank thrust by moving the crank in and out all the way by hand. If the bearings get bad enough, they will destroy the entire engine, crank, rods, even the block.

BTW free revving an engine while not under load is a bad idea.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Pushing the pedal down is not a good way to check the crank thrust, because there is nothing to return the crank to the forward position once the pedal is released and you will not get a proper reading.

I would immediately measure the crank thrust by moving the crank in and out all the way by hand. If the bearings get bad enough, they will destroy the entire engine, crank, rods, even the block.

BTW free revving an engine while not under load is a bad idea.
I will try adjusting the clutch asap. And the the reason i free revved was because i felt it between high rpm shifts ajd it was a way me to duplicate it. Also if im higher rpms and slowly let the clutch out as im in higher rpms , the vibration gets worse so u can hear a buzz

Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Are they known for crank thrust issues?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope but running low on oil or having a higher clamping force clutch are known to cause that.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Hm the csr wasnt starved by oil. Motor sounds and runs strong. Hm

Quick Reply: Clutch vibration help please!, not typical buzz