S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch vibration

Old 09-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch vibration

Who has a weird annoying vibration from the clutch pedal. Mine vibrates at a frequency that can be felt in the floor and through the pedal while shifting. Even the dead pedal transmits this vibration to my foot. It can also be felt if you just rest your foot on the pedal to see if it is there. This vibration is enough to make my foot fall asleep or just tingle really bad. Feels like something out of balance in the clutch and is getting worse in the past couple hundred miles. Anyone else have this before I go to the dealer and they think I am nuts.

BTW, you can really feel it half way through the clutch pedal stroke.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't sound like your typical clutch buzz to me. Better get it checked out soon.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone??
Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 model year with 80000 mi suddenly became "buzzy" at about 65000 miles. I would describe it as a high frequency engine vibration that is most noticeable through the clutch pedal but can also be felt through the shift lever. It Feels kind of like an electric shaver. It is not alarming but it is a driveability problem. If you had never driven the car before you would simply think that it is somewhat unrefined. Several dealers have driven it and said their is nothing wrong. Maybe the engine is simply getting old. I'd gladly spend the money to fix this if someone could tell me what it would take.
P.S TSB 54 was performed at 45000 Mi. with the latest clutch disc.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsay,May 25 2005, 08:37 AM
P.S TSB 54 was performed at 45000 Mi. with the latest clutch disc.
Having this work done by no means assures that the problem doesn't re-occur. In fact, with a MY2000, you were very lucky that it lasted as long as it did before you couldn't stand the buzz. Even after getting the TSB done, many owners report that the buzz returns within weeks.
If indeed you have the clutch decel buzz, it is not a mechanical "problem". It's just a noisey vibration. You can always have another clutch job done but again, it mostly will come back.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 25 2005, 10:59 AM
Having this work done by no means assures that the problem doesn't re-occur.
I thought the TSB is to replace the older-design clutch disc which is prone to buzzing that came with the MY00-01 cars with the newer-design one that MY02+ runs? So what's the difference between an MY02 and an MY00 with a MY02 clutch disc in that regard?

My MY00 has the deccel buzz exactly like my old miata used to have with the badly-designed aftermarket clutch disc. A new factory clutch disc fixed the problem. I still had gearbox whine from my light flywheel and my beaten-up 5-speed box on that car, but the deccel buzz was gone after changing to a new factory clutch disc.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:54 PM

The symptoms my car is experiencing is definately not the gear resonation on deceleration that is addressed by TSB 54. It is a high frequency engine vibration and is not audible. I suppose "buzzy" was a poor choice of words to describe it. When I shift gears at high RPM it almost feels like my foot could vibrate off the clutch pedal. I mentioned TSB 54 because I do suspect the clutch disc.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM

I thought the TSB is to replace the older-design clutch disc which is prone to buzzing that came with the MY00-01 cars with the newer-design one that MY02+ runs? So what's the difference between an MY02 and an MY00 with a MY02 clutch disc in that regard?
The "revised" clutch disc incorporates stiffer springs, supposedly to resist vibration and conveying the tranny backlash vibration. This has not proved to be entirely successful. Even some owners with '04s have indicated that they have a buzz to some extent.

When I shift gears at high RPM it almost feels like my foot could vibrate off the clutch pedal. I mentioned TSB 54 because I do suspect the clutch disc.
OK, this may be the transmission of a harmonic vibration that naturally occurs in the engine. Those of us who have superchargers have noticed that this vibration becomes amplified after the S/C installation. For you to notice this much vibration may be an indication that the fluid filled engine mounts need attention. Check their condition. Also, how's the steering feel?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 PM

From the description of it, I've got the exact same vibe. Didn't really notice it until after TSB 54 was performed. I suspected that engine mounts may be the cause, but I really didn't know what to check for visually. Was fearful that it was a throwout bearing issue since I only felt it through the clutch pedal. BTW, the clutch "buzz" came back shortly after the clutch was replaced, so it really didn't fix the problem at all.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dakamoore,May 26 2005, 01:49 PM
I suspected that engine mounts may be the cause, but I really didn't know what to check for visually.
The most common failure of a motor mount is the loss of fluid. Check around each mount to see if there is a hint of goo coating those areas. If it's not been contaminated by dirt, it will appear reddish.

Quick Reply: Clutch vibration