S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch or transmission problem?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or transmission problem?

I have a 2006 s2k with approx 56k miles on it and all of a sudden i noticed that the clutch pedal has gone fairly limp on the way to the floor and seems to stick there for a second before coming back up, almost as if there was gum stuck to the back of the pedal. Also it started as having trouble getting the shifter to go into reverse, but now it seems like first gear won't be allowed either. It seems like im locked out of the gears when i try to shift.

Engagement itself doesnt seem to be a problem but actually getting the shifter into a gear is difficult. What do you think it could be? Im going to take it to get looked at asap but im just trying to get some ideas as to what it could be. Any feedback is appreciated,
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your clutch fluid, 99% sure you're just low on fluid. Top it off, pump the clutch, top it off again and enjoy the car.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM

and i can just use regular dot3 brake fluid from like walmart to do that right?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM

...just checked the fluid and you were right its definitely noticeably below the min line..im wondering why its that low, i dont see any fluid under the car in the garage or anything.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Your clutch master cylinder is going out. I bet all your fluid lost is right at the firewall and clutch pedal.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your CMC (clutch master cylinder) is definitely leaking. Its a common problem with our cars. As Tookay suggested look around your clutch pedal and the firewall. You'll probably notice it looks wet, meaning you are slowly leaking clutch fluid through your CMC. It's your call if you want to replace it or not. The leak is usually slow enough that as long as you keep the clutch fluid topped off, you should be fine. I have an '04 and replaced mine around the 68k mile mark because I didn't want to have to deal with keeping brake fluid in the car at all times.

Any DOT3 or DOT4 fluid will be fine. When you fill it up be sure to pump the clutch pedal several times to try and get as much fluid into the lines as possible. It'll also help get some of the air bubbles out if you have any. Once the clutch feels "good" again, top it off and then keep a bottle of brake fluid in the car and check it regularly. Once you get to the point where you have to top it off every month or so, might we worth looking at replacing the CMC.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Aright well it looks like you guys were spot on. I had filled the clutch fluid back up and unfortunately it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Dropped it off at the dealer by me this morning and i received a call in the afternoon with them saying they're 99% sure i need a new master cylinder. They quoted it at $407, does that sound about right?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM

if you have any mechanical know-how at all, you can do it yourself. it's not all that difficult a job, and you'll save close to $300 in labor
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 AM

I'm having the same problem right now. So is brake fluid the same as clutch fluid? Would I be able to fill it up with any DOT3 brake fluid or do I have to get a specific clutch fluid? Any recommendations? So many questions lol
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Yeah brake fluid is the same as clutch fluid. It confused me as well at first because even the cap for the clutch fluid says to use brake fluid. But any dot3 should be fine i assume, i picked up a bottle from honda for $6. The manual says you should use "honda heavy duty dot3 brake fluid" which i thought was something different then just regular dot3. It's not, they even changed the label on the bottles at honda and now they only say dot3 brake fluid on them. Hopefully you don't need a new cms like i did. Should be picking up the car later today or early tomorrow, hopefully its all better.

Quick Reply: Clutch or transmission problem?