S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch or transmission problem

Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or transmission problem

A few days ago I started having a problem that occurred in June of last year.

Part of the problem is getting in and out of each gearing,most noticeably hard with 1st,2nd,6th and reverse and its too the point now where it won't go into 1st at all from the neutral position unless i put alotta force into it for several seconds.

The second problem is the clutch pedal, I can press it down 60% of the way with no resistance what so ever and the clutch engagement is very abrupt and no matter what I do as a driver,however there is no slippage from what I can feel.

I remedy this problem back in June by adding more clutch fluid and changing the transmission oil....I've only gotten a chance to add more clutch fluid(which was insanely low for being topped off only 7 months ago) and there still is no change.

I will get to the tranny fluid tomorrow.

No leaks anywhere.

Car is a MY01 with 75k on the odo. Car is my DD, I don't track it or launch it,however it does see 8k+rpms several times a week.

any help is appreciated.thx
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Impulse147,Jan 29 2010, 07:20 PM
I remedy this problem back in June by adding more clutch fluid and changing the transmission oil....I've only gotten a chance to add more clutch fluid(which was insanely low for being topped off only 7 months ago) and there still is no change.

No leaks anywhere.
You are leaking clutch fluid sir. It might be inside the car at the clutch pedal.

Replacing your clutch fluid might fix this, but more than likely you will need a master and/or slave. There are DIYs on all of it. It's not that hard if you know how to get under a car safely.

There is other stuff you can check related to the shifter and clutch pedal, but start with the fluid.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just change the CMC and enjoy the new like feel.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Any chance of doing damage to the car by driving it like this until I can get a new master? I should be able to purchase the part tomorrow over the phone.

I very much doubt the part is in stock as I've had problems before when ordering others parts from Honda dealerships.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Impulse147,Jan 29 2010, 05:20 PM
A few days ago I started having a problem that occurred in June of last year.
???

Did it start a few days ago or June or 2009? Also, anyone else had this problem at 75K mi? sounds strange that this type of failure would occur so soon.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by anarkia1ces,Jan 29 2010, 09:20 PM
???

Did it start a few days ago or June or 2009? Also, anyone else had this problem at 75K mi? sounds strange that this type of failure would occur so soon.
i think what he was saying is that he has a problem that started in june of 09 and he topped off the fluids and the symptoms went away till the other day. this is completely normal on a 9 year old car with 75k on it. i am currently deployed but while i was home on r&r i drove my car and realized that the cmc needs to be replaced on mine and mine is an 03 with 70k. next i agree with dammitjim and others saying to look under the dash to where the clutch pedal meets the rod at the fire wall and see if there is fluid dripping from there. and if there is replace the clutch master cylinder. when you replace it make sure you set the nut holding the rod to the pedal to get a 1/8-1/4 inch of play before you feel resistance from the pedal. you should be fine driving on it for a little while as long as you make sure there is enough fluid in the reservoir and lines and it is properly bled with no air in the system. second if this doesnt go away look at your transmission. on the side of it is a slave cylinder. if it is leaking replace that. if you still have troubles after all that. flush the system. to do that you will need a buddy to help you, while you push on the clutch pedal have him quickly open the bleeder valve and close it after no more fluid escapes. then pump and hold it again and have him open and close again. then repeat till nothing but clean brake fluid comes out. but make sure to keep the level of the fluid in the reservoir full. if this doesnt fix it you have more than a simple problem and based on you asking how to fix this i dont think you know enough about cars to find the solution.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 AM

Alright got under the foot well this morning, and yep small leak back behind the clutch pedal.

Checked the slave cylinder anyway, that looked good.

Ordered the part should pick it up by Tuesday or Wednesday.

P.S. sorry about my wording with the dates...it happened last year in June and I remedied it, now the problem has come back.

Glad it will be in the 40's by that time, I hate doing work in the cold.

Thx,guys.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
mlc

Just make sure you do a good bleed of the system afterwards. It is different then doing the brakes.

Kevin
Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no leaks anywhere, but the clutch fluid is going somewhere, isn't it?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 AM

It looks like the OP found the leak. Inside the car, underdash at the clutch master cylinder. The CMC shaft seal is leaking. You can drive the car for now as long as the fluid (dot3 same as brake fluid) is topped off and no air is in the system until your parts come it.

Quick Reply: clutch or transmission problem