S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch or Transmission Issue?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You probably have air in your system since it's that low. I would recommend bleeding your clutch from the slave cylinder and refill with dot 3 brake fluid.

Try changing the fluid first before getting at the leak. Sometimes a clutch bleed is all you need to stop that leak.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For reverse if it doesn't go in on the first try then slap it into another gear (I use 1st or 3rd) real quick then go to reverse. With first if it happens to me I slide it in 2nd then it goes right into first.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There you go Calvin, that is definitely contributing to your issue. Before bleeding anything I would try taking a couple paper towels and soaking up the remaining fluid in that reservoir. (Dont touch the clutch pedal when there is no fluid in that master cylinder). Fill it back up to the full line with brake fluid (Thats what is used in the clutch master cylinder). Throw the cap on and give the pedal a couple pumps after its filled up and then go back and look at the fluid. If its dirty again soak/baste the fluid back up and repeat.

like Stupkid said there is a chance you got air in the line, but first get new fluid in there and see if that helps. If the pedal still doesn't feel right I would perform a bleed

follow this DIY -https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/993927-diy-clutch-bleed-gravity-method/ and I would do it with a friend to help you out.

Let us know how you make out

EDIT: Almost forgot. Brake fluid eats any/all paint so make sure you do not get it on the fender/enginebay/anything really. lol. Id put towels over everything surrounding and use a funnel just to be safe. Its some nasty shit
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At a stop the transmission should go into any gear without having to apply force. It should shift into the gears similarly with the engine running and shut off. If it grinds when choosing a gear it is most likely the transmission. If it blocks you out of the gear requiring force to engage it. That is most likely a clutch issue. Also, if you get it into first, take your foot off the brake on a flat road if the car moves forward with the clutch pedal depressed you have a clutch issue as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stupkid
You probably have air in your system since it's that low. I would recommend bleeding your clutch from the slave cylinder and refill with dot 3 brake fluid.

Try changing the fluid first before getting at the leak. Sometimes a clutch bleed is all you need to stop that leak.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by El S2000
There you go Calvin, that is definitely contributing to your issue. Before bleeding anything I would try taking a couple paper towels and soaking up the remaining fluid in that reservoir. (Dont touch the clutch pedal when there is no fluid in that master cylinder). Fill it back up to the full line with brake fluid (Thats what is used in the clutch master cylinder). Throw the cap on and give the pedal a couple pumps after its filled up and then go back and look at the fluid. If its dirty again soak/baste the fluid back up and repeat.

like Stupkid said there is a chance you got air in the line, but first get new fluid in there and see if that helps. If the pedal still doesn't feel right I would perform a bleed

follow this DIY -https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/993927-diy-clutch-bleed-gravity-method/ and I would do it with a friend to help you out.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Brake fluid eats any/all paint so make sure you do not get it on the fender/enginebay/anything really. lol. Id put towels over everything surrounding and use a funnel just to be safe. Its some nasty shit
Thanks for the great responses! If I don't respond to this thread within a reasonable time then I've probably got it under control!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by El S2000

Took your advice on the soak and refill advice and it's been working so far. I'm gonna recheck the level in a few weeks to see if there's an actual leak. Thanks for everything!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You have a leak or the fluid would have never got that low, also you said yourself you saw fluid when inspecting the adjusting rod. You just need to replace your master cylinder. Wait to watch the level go down again if you like to verify. With the leak being present, depending on how severe it is, you are going to be losing some amount of hydraulic pressure and as a result your not going to be shifting as smooth as you could yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I agree s2000Junky but it's also been said that dirty clutch fluid contributes to the leak and after cleaning out the reservoir the leak can likely go away after new fluid is put in. Ill be curious to hear how OP ends up. I'd keep an eye on the clutch master cylinder push rod for additional leaking/black fluid