S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch or Transmission Issue?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch or Transmission Issue?

Just recently, about a couple months ago, I started to realize it's been extremely difficult to get into reverse gear. I literally have to use both hands and pull down for it to pop into reverse. Also, despite depressing the clutch entirely, I feel a grinding sound when put into first gear when the car is going around 5-10 mph. And now, each gear shift has difficulty putting into gear. I've had to use much more pressure to put the car into each gear. There is no grinding noise in any gear other than 1st and that only happens when the car is moving slow enough to be in first gear.

I thought it may have been the transmission fluid, but I recently had the transmission fluid changed by my local Honda dealership.

I'm afraid that by using so much force to put it into reverse or any gear for that matter that it will either damage the clutch or the transmission.

So my question is, is the clutch the issue or the transmission??? Please help!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try adjusting the clutch rod. You don't want too much excessive play in it. Its right behind the clutch pedal. Rod sticking through the firewall into the master cylinder. There is a diy on the forums somewhere. Google it I'm on my phone right now so I cant provide the link.

Edit: also check your clutch fluid in the master cylinder reservoir under the hood on the right of the brake reservoir (closest to the fender) and make sure the fluid isn't dirty muddy color.

Edit again: has it always been hard to pop into reverse? Just throwing it out there, but you do know you gotta push the shifter straight down to unlock the safety mechanism right?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time you have to "pull" the shifter to get it into gear the transmission is screaming in pain. Your blocking rings hate you and eventually they will give up resulting in a new or rebuild trans. It sounds as though your clutch is not disengaging fully. Whether that is a mechanical disc or plate failure or a hydraulic problem either way it needs to be fixed asap before your trans is toast.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by stupkid
Try adjusting the clutch rod. You don't want too much excessive play in it. Its right behind the clutch pedal. Rod sticking through the firewall into the master cylinder. There is a diy on the forums somewhere. Google it I'm on my phone right now so I cant provide the link.

Edit: also check your clutch fluid in the master cylinder reservoir under the hood on the right of the brake reservoir (closest to the fender) and make sure the fluid isn't dirty muddy color.

Edit again: has it always been hard to pop into reverse? Just throwing it out there, but you do know you gotta push the shifter straight down to unlock the safety mechanism right?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Reversing has just started a few months ago. Earlier today, while back out of the driveway, I heard a snap.. And yes, I know I have to push the shifter straight down to unlock the safety mechanism.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
Every time you have to "pull" the shifter to get it into gear the transmission is screaming in pain. Your blocking rings hate you and eventually they will give up resulting in a new or rebuild trans. It sounds as though your clutch is not disengaging fully. Whether that is a mechanical disc or plate failure or a hydraulic problem either way it needs to be fixed asap before your trans is toast.
The only real difficulty is first and reverse. Does that still mean the clutch could not be disengaging fully? Would replacing the clutch fix the issue? I just don't want to spend that ridiculous diag fee at honda to let them tell me something I may know already..
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would do the easy thing first before thinking its the transmission. Personally I'd pop the top on your clutch fluid master cylinder. Literally a 2 minute job if that. If the fluid is dirty then baste/soak up the old fluid and wipe the resivior out and add clean fluid. It could be as simple as that. Chances are depending on how long you had the car if you haven't changed the clutch fluid it will feel a lot better just after this step. If its still not right I'd adjust the clutch rod.

Do the easy things first, these cars are easy to work on
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've been just popping your car into 1st at 5-10mph all the time without double clutching then your syncros are done and thats probably why its so difficult for you to engage first and reverse. Since if i remember correctly reverse and first are straight cut gears and non helical. So if your syncro is blasted apart, it may have gotten stuck on the teeth on the cones?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by El S2000
I would do the easy thing first before thinking its the transmission. Personally I'd pop the top on your clutch fluid master cylinder. Literally a 2 minute job if that. If the fluid is dirty then baste/soak up the old fluid and wipe the resivior out and add clean fluid. It could be as simple as that. Chances are depending on how long you had the car if you haven't changed the clutch fluid it will feel a lot better just after this step. If its still not right I'd adjust the clutch rod.

Do the easy things first, these cars are easy to work on

I bent down and took a look at the master cylinder and it looks like there's a leak? A black thick fluid is seemingly leaking out. Looks like I need to replace the master cylinder. Would I need to replace the slave as well?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Master cylinder is the reservoir under the hood in the engine bay. The slave cylinder is the part that is bolted to the transmission. They are connected by a hydraulic line. Which one did you look at? Like other have mentioned you want to see what fluid you have left in the reservoir first and see what color it looks like.

This is a picture of where the clutch master is

Take a look and let us know what you find
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM

The Master cylinder is the reservoir under the hood in the engine bay. The slave cylinder is the part that is bolted to the transmission. They are connected by a hydraulic line. Which one did you look at? Like other have mentioned you want to see what fluid you have left in the reservoir first and see what color it looks like.

Sorry, I must have been mistaken the name of the part I was looking at. I was looking to adjust the clutch rod and was looking at this DIY and noticed some black fluid leaking from right below where 'dj' were in 'adjust' in the picture in the DIY (lol sorry if that was confusing). I did notice today, however, that after I had been driving the car for some time (starting the car and then starting it again a few hours later), that I did not need to 'force' anything. Gear shifts, including reverse, were perfectly smooth.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Clutch or Transmission Issue?-9uejh0z.jpg

That's what the fluid looks like. It definitely does NOT look as clear or anywhere near as full as it should be. So now I guess my issue is, do I drain and fill it up first (if so, what kind of fluid is recommended?) or should I be more worried about the leak near the clutch rod and get that taken care of while I'm at it?

Quick Reply: Clutch or Transmission Issue?