S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch, tranny or just my imagination

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch, tranny or just my imagination

Ok.. Just recently got my 2006 s2k. First few days of driving it I got on it. Just some hard accelleration. But nothing to write home about. I smelled clutch. I figured maybe due to the previous owner being deployed and the car sitting up for a while. On the side of caution and due to the fact that for what I want to do I'd have to do it any ways, I put in a new clutch (or rather had it put in as I don't want to mess up my baby.. lol) Well prior to putting in the new clut, it felt like there was slippage and this I want to call it chatter, but it chattered the whole car. (Looks like I don't know how to drive a stick)

Ok.. New clutch is in. But this chatter is not gone. Slippage is as this clutch is very bitey (if that's a word.. lol) Oh, btw, when I say clutch I mean clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and the whole nine. Now when I engage the clutch it's eigther on or off (after 500 mile break in though that has eased up some) or shutters and shakes to almost stall (sometimes it does). Now, unlike before with the much smother shifting in the shifter, I can feel a "bite" as I actually have to use effort to put it in gear.. Not force it, but it's not a smooth glide either. Now there's also a grinding noise. Especially in 2nd and 3rd gear and even more so if I just come off the gas and the transmission is slowing the car down. If I press my clutch just to the point of engagement, I can feel what I hear through the pedal.

Now I had to go to TN from TX this weekend (14 hours one way) and after several hours in my trip I got a check engine light, VSA light and the triangle with the !. I perceded with caution as it was too late to back out of the trip (training for work related). Once there the car sat for the most part. Now on the way back I was in a parking lot, engaged the park brake, came off the clutch and forgot to pull it out of gear. Of course the "what the hell just happened" jump from the car and died. No biggie. So I restart the car to no warning lights at all. (this was as I was about to start my return trip). None for 14 hours. Although I still have the grinds and whatnot.

I've pulled the OBD2 codes and the only complaint from the car is #2 misfire. (which I'm going to give attention to tomorrow). Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any insight on what I'm going through.... Kind of a rough way to start off a long and beautiful relationship.. haha. Thanks in advance and sorry for being so long about it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the number 2 missfire on both by ap1s and it decided to cough out the plug taking the threads with it then spending 300$ on the timesert kit for it....

Prior it was bucking and missing on occasion until it went

And if this wasn't an OEM replacement clutch and you've never driven light flywheel and staged clutch before then that's another problem is u lol u gotta relearn howto drive a staged clutch.I've been driving them for a decade now and still on days I'm beat ass tired or what have u it looks a lil sketch haha.but I hope u don't end up with my problems on the head.I've heard it being a common ap1 thing but idk bout yours haha.hope I helped in any way and good luck