S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch/tranny "issue"

Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch/tranny "issue"

within the last few days my car has started to give me some trouble. the symptoms are:

-when coming to a stop, shifter in neutral and clutch pedal released, the car jolts sporadically as if the clutch was not fully disengaging. this only happens (or is noticeable) below id say 10 mph.

-its hard to get the car into first gear until you have come to a complete stop unless you rev match.

-when coming to a stop, shift lever in 1st gear, clutch pedal depressed, it has the same issue as above.

-when backing up, the car doesn't like to go into reverse and is VERY shaky as in when releasing the clutch, it feels as if the car was stalling up (like in an auto) and wont move but will finally release and start backing up but its almost as if it had really bad clutch chatter.

I wouldnt call myself an expert by any means but i do understand the basics of transmissions and clutch assy's but this one really has me puzzled. I want to think the clutch fluid just needs to be changed (will be doing that this afternoon) but it seems that some of the symptoms point to a more serious problem such as bad synchros, clutch, flywheel, PP or possibly something wrong in the rear end.

any input would be appreciated especially if you have heard or experienced this problem before. The car is a 2000 with less than 31k miles and the transmission fluid was changed about a month ago with redline MT-90. also the fluid in the slave cylinder does look like it should be changed but like i said that will be done this afternoon.

thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 AM

i would say slave cylinder. is it easy to get it into gear with the car off? that would tell you if its synchro issues or tranny at all...

second you can jack the car up and get under it and have someone push the clutch and watch the fork and see how far its traveling...im not exactly sure how your gonna be able to gauge how far its traveling and if its enough but you can try and use some levarage and move it further. but be careful not go to far as you can damage the diaphram inside the pressure plate if you over extend the fingers.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM

the shifter works fine if the car is off. ill check out the shift fork when i get down there to bleed it today.

thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM

bled the system and checked the fork. no evidence of the fork being messed up and after bleeding it the problem is still there

any other thoughts????
Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM

anyone else have any insight? shes going to the dealer tommorow if i cant get it figured.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM

did you get someone to push the clutch in for you...did you look like it was traveling far enough? when i say traveling i mean moving in and out to release and engage the clutch
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 PM

i watched as i was bleading the slave cylinder and everything seemed to be ok.

Ive searched the forums all day long and cant find an instance of the same situation. there are others that had some of my symptoms but none with all or exactly the same symptoms.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM

anyone?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM

no more help?????

the cars at the dealer now and they are asking for an authorization for a $930 TEAR DOWN! i need some help
Old 05-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 695 Likes on 439 Posts

good lord, you could just get a used AP1 transmisison for half that.

Quick Reply: clutch/tranny "issue"