S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Sound

Old 07-29-2020, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an edit button...

Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Might be because you are newly registered, maybe talk to the admins in https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/ for help.

Factory manual says minimum compression is 135psi but that would probably be a really sluggish and worn out engine.
Given that I wouldn't think driving with one down at 185 should be an immediate danger.
Lifting the head without doing a leak down test seems really stupid unless you do it just to make money, which maybe then you could call smart unless you are the one paying for it.
Leak down test should give a very good indication if the leak is from head or pass the piston.
Another thing while doing compression test is to drip some oil down the spark plug hole, if compression tester shows higher values after that then the problem is piston/cylinder related.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Stern
B serious, I tried PMing, but like editing a post, I cannot do it for some reason... I really appreciate you trying to help.

Do you mind if we hop on a call?
No problem dude. I'll send u a text sometime today so u have my #.
The following users liked this post:
Justin Stern (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM

So I brought up doing a leak down, and he said he doesn't have the tool and doesn't find it helpful, and every single time a cylinder has bad compression, he claims it is the valve guides.

I am starting to wonder how he has the BEST reputation. Definitely seems like he wants to just get paid to take the head off so I am then somewhat forced to fix it.

He had no problem with me taking it somewhere else and getting a leak down. He made it seems like a lot of work. Pretty sure if you are already doing a compression, it's just the next step and takes hardly any time?

Bottom line, he said, he is not going to do it but was not offended if I took it somewhere.

I mean, if it is just shy of 200, and a leak down does show it's a valve-related issue, is 1800 an expected number to fix. I can't imagine it driving that much different. Feels totally fine.

The $1,800 includes pulling the head and fixing the issue (valve guides), bla bla bla. He said it's a rather common thing on Hondas in general.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 PM

Also, REALLY trying to pay attention to the noise and pretty much everything with this car. I am suer in tune with it.

It defiantly will do it the most when releasing the clutch reversing. Couldn't I just do that on the lift while Tony looks at it? He claimed that the ABS will come on and you cannot really drive it like that on a lift. I mean, all I have to do is just release the clutch a tad.

Also, in general, nothing to do with the noise I have noticed quite a bit of vibration on the decel from 2.5k-4. in the clutch pedal. Not sure if that is normal in these cars or that has to do with anything we are talking about.

At this point, that noise is either the mounts or the clutch, although the clutch operates normally (to me) and does not slip one bit.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:12 PM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Bad valve guides doesn't make compression go down, that makes no sense.
And no, it is not a lot of work doing leak down test. I'm sure there are hundreds of youtube videos on it that you can check.

Yes ABS light will turn on if you drive it with wheels in the air, it doesn't really matter though and it will go off once you drive it a short distance on the ground again.
I wouldn't trust this shop at all, they probably know how to wrench on this car but unless you pay them to do one specific job you could probably loose a lot of unnecessary cash.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the info!

This guy really might be blowing smoke. It's just crazy he is literally the "most talked about" S2K guy out here, and on these forums.

Please help me better understand/educate me if you will--

1. What are some reasons/what is broken to have a cylinder slightly low compression?
2. What does the leak down test show me? What should the shop that I go to next tell me regarding the leak down? Is there something particular?
3. What would be the reason he is suggesting to pull the head? There has to be something gained from pulling the head? He just seems so confident that pulling the head is what needs to happen. He claims that is what needs to be done as the next step to see the exact issue.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Btw, you guys have been super helpful. So much nicer than the STi forums.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 PM

and btw, i meant valve seats. NOT valve guides. Does that change anything here related to the shop wanting to overhaul the heads to bring compression down?
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 PM

This really has me thinking--

If he is completing scamming me, and nothing is wrong with the head, and the compression is low due to something OTHER than the head (bottom end), he would have to do something in order to prove it was fixed (after pulling the head for $1,800) and my compression was back to "normal."

He knows me well enough that I am going to ask to show a complete compression check.

So what am I missing?

Quick Reply: Clutch Sound