S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Slipping - MY00

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
Did you end up doing this on jack stands? How was the job? I have changed a couple of clutches before on different cars and can see that I'll have to do this job at some point in the future on s2k.
I'm not the one you asked, but I've done this job on mine on jack stands twice now. It's not fun, and it takes a while, but it is very doable. Take your time and follow the manual, and have a good variety of ratchet extensions & wobbles handy. You'll need to have it up quite high on the stands to have room to get the trans out in the end. A transmission jack (with the cradle to attach to) would be very helpful. I used a basic car jack, and finding the balance point before dropping it is tricky. You absolutely need two people to do that part safely, without the trans jack.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by clio
Did you end up doing this on jack stands? How was the job? I have changed a couple of clutches before on different cars and can see that I'll have to do this job at some point in the future on s2k.
Yep, all I had were (4) stands and a jack. My jack could only manage to get it ~20 in. in the air and that was plenty. I didn't have any help so I just dropped the transmission, took off the driveshaft "loop", and slid it back on the jack. I probably could have gotten the transmission out from under the car to clean it better but it worked fine just leaving it on the jack.

By far the hardest part was not stripping the driveshaft bolts. Only stripped two even after slightly grinding down the sides of the hex socket like suggested somewhere. Starter bolt was simple but only after taking out the alternator. The whole job only requires simple hand tools. I think the only things I had to purchase were a 12-pt 10mm socket (for the PP), a 20" extension (to go with the 10" I had), and a 14mm swivel socket (for the starter bolt and it also helped on the AC compressor bolts).

And make sure the slave is back on the fork upon reinstallation Not sure how I did it but I about died when I was putting the shifter back on, and I stepped on the clutch just to have it fall right to the floor. Then saw brake fluid dripping from the slave boot...the spring and piston shot out of the cylinder but I was able to get it all back together.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Good info! Thanks