S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch slipping during fast gear changes...

Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping during fast gear changes...

My car is a 2009 S2K with 26k miles. When going through the gears taking my car close to redline and shifting fast I am experiencing my clutch slipping. I am releasing the clutch all the way and it still does it. Only when shifting fast during WOT. I also tried taking second gear to redline and shift straight to sixth and go WOT and no slipping occurred. Am I due for a clutch already? :/
Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's normal with the 04+ cars they have a clutch delay valve. You have to wait 1/2 a sec. before you stand on the gas after a shift.

I hate it, and often get on the gas to soon after a shift and it won't hold.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Yep, it's the delay valve. My 08' does the same thing. I'm gonna remove that thing if I decide to buyout my lease.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

It's two things.

A) clutch delay valve. You can swap in an AP1 (00-03) slave cylinder or physically remove it from your slave cylinder.

b) 22lb flywheel. The AP2s have a flywheel that's almost twice as heavy as the AP1s. But Honda kept the pressure plate and everything else the same. So it is more work to clamp everything together.

the AP1 slave cylinder is the cheap fix, but if you ever change out your clutch, do yourself a favor and put an AP1 flywheel in too.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Wow I have never heard of this! So I guess I won't worry about it then. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

The slip you feel at WOT is the heavy flywheel - the posters above (rjones, motocrossmann) that blame the CDV are incorrect. The CDV limits shock to the driveline, not the floating slip you're experiencing. spets is closest to correct - CDV controls the metal/metal feel more than anything you will notice.

Best option is to simply slow your shifts a bit until its time to replace the clutch system, and then go with an AP1 flywheel and maybe a firmer pressure plate. You can also remove the CDV to change the clutch feel to more of a metal on metal feel.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 25 2010, 06:02 PM
The slip you feel at WOT is the heavy flywheel - the posters above (rjones, motocrossmann) that blame the CDV are incorrect. The CDV limits shock to the driveline, not the floating slip you're experiencing. spets is closest to correct - CDV controls the metal/metal feel more than anything you will notice.

Best option is to simply slow your shifts a bit until its time to replace the clutch system, and then go with an AP1 flywheel and maybe a firmer pressure plate. You can also remove the CDV to change the clutch feel to more of a metal on metal feel.
I disagree 100%. I removed my CDV on my 04' and felt like i had a brand new clutch during hard shifts. It went from the feeling of slipping horribly to no slipping.

And yes i've read Billmans thread on the CDV. The OP is claiming symptoms of slippage, and removing the CDV will help him a lot towards what he is trying to accomplish, no delay at WOT.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JuicedS2K,Oct 26 2010, 12:21 AM
I disagree 100%. I removed my CDV on my 04' and felt like i had a brand new clutch during hard shifts. It went from the feeling of slipping horribly to no slipping.

And yes i've read Billmans thread on the CDV. The OP is claiming symptoms of slippage, and removing the CDV will help him a lot towards what he is trying to accomplish, no delay at WOT.
I think you need to re-read Billman's posts. Also, are you telling me you are on the stock clutch with an FI setup?

There is a reason you feel the float at a 1-2 WOT shift at 8k rpm but not during a 1-2 WOT shift at 6k rpm - its flywheel inertia and pressure plate force. spets stated it best by outlining the two areas for improvement.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 26 2010, 09:23 AM
I think you need to re-read Billman's posts. Also, are you telling me you are on the stock clutch with an FI setup?
No, this is when i was stock, with stock clutch.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the slipping issue doesn't fully go away after just removing the cdv. it helps, though.

i now just wait a split second longer before mashing back on the gas.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping during fast gear changes...