S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch slipping but not consistently

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping but not consistently

I have an MY04, with 14,000 km on it. I have done the slave cylinder modification to remove the delay.

My problem is that I am finding the clutch slips at high RPM shifts now, even more than it did before the slave cylinder modification. Particularly 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

The odd thing is that doesn't do this with any regular frequency and I can't seem to determine the cause.

My friend and I took the car out for about 2 hrs last night to try and determine what was going on. We did numerous high RPM shifts (rolling start only) 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc. What we found was that 'sometimes' the clutch slipped and sometimes it didn't. I would say about 30% of the time it slipped. We are both experienced standard drivers, I brought him along to make sure that it wasn't my driving style that was causing this.

The only thing I can think of is that the slave cylinder modification doesn't actually work. There is perhaps still a delay in clutch engagement? The transmission and clutch appear to be operating normally otherwise, there is no sign of clutch slippage under any other circumstances other than high RPM shifting.

any ideas would be appreciated
Old 07-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Describe why/what makes you sure it's slipping under said conditions. I'm asking if you are sure it's slipping and what are the symptoms. Be detailed. Do you smell any unusually obnoxious burning odors immediately after a run? Anything else that's unusual
Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ol' dood,Jul 6 2005, 12:50 PM
Describe why/what makes you sure it's slipping under said conditions. I'm asking if you are sure it's slipping and what are the symptoms. Be detailed. Do you smell any unusually obnoxious burning odors immediately after a run? Anything else that's unusual
no burnt smell,

basically the RPM's don't climb immediately after shift, they 'stick' at around 6000 RPM for second and then begin to climb, classic slip scenario.

There is no indication of wheel spin at all, car doesn't 'step out' and tires do not make an noise what so ever.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was dicussed in another thread but I know that the delay mod does work. I think you have to take into consideration the softness of the 04 clutch and the engagement of the clutch pedal.

The engagement is high but can be adjusted. I think that under high rpm shifts you will find that the "mechanics" of the shifting sequence is rapidly increased. The higher engagement, disengagement point of the clutch combined with your right gas foot is causing slippage.

You have to make sure you are totally off the clutch before gasing the next gear.

Try lowering the engagement point. I don't know if you've driven on AP1 but the engagement is lower and the clutch is a little stiffer.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by pace76,Jul 6 2005, 03:57 PM
no burnt smell,

basically the RPM's don't climb immediately after shift, they 'stick' at around 6000 RPM for second and then begin to climb, classic slip scenario.

There is no indication of wheel spin at all, car doesn't 'step out' and tires do not make an noise what so ever.
If the RPM doesn't rise immediately after the shift, it's not slipping. Other wise you're description sounds like the clutch is working just fine. You may want to start saving for a tougher Aftermarket replacement clutch.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by pace76,Jul 6 2005, 12:57 PM
no burnt smell,

If your clutch is slipping, it smells like a mixture of burnt plastic and dead fish. If you don't have that smell, your clutch isn't slipping.

I've had some slipping with my '04, and had the same problem on my 300 ZX TT. It happens when the engine rpm is too high when you let out on the clutch. The clutch is not strong enough to grab with the large difference in engine/tran speeds.

If you get close to matching rpms there is no problem.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Keep in mind once a clutch gets hot and starts to slip, it will always slip until it has cooled down.

The slave mod works without question, but it does not affect the holding power of the pressure plate.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pace76,Jul 6 2005, 01:57 PM
I'm afraid you have the complete OPPOSITE idea of what clutch slip is. What you just described is a classic case of the clutch NOT slipping. It is grabbing as it should. IF it were slipping, you would see the revs climb rapidly while the car's road speed didn't change much. If BOTH of you thought the same thing, then both of you need to find a new understanding of what clutch slip really is.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 6 2005, 05:41 PM
I'm afraid you have the complete OPPOSITE idea of what clutch slip is. What you just described is a classic case of the clutch NOT slipping. It is grabbing as it should. IF it were slipping, you would see the revs climb rapidly while the car's road speed didn't change much. If BOTH of you thought the same thing, then both of you need to find a new understanding of what clutch slip really is.
ok,

if it's not climbing for a second or two then what is it doing exactly? the only way I can describe the sensation is 'slippage' the RPMs don't climb right away, it drops and then just oscillates a bit around 6000+/- RPM (unusually long) before fully taking hold.

I've driven many many standard vehicles and I have never experienced this before.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Jul 6 2005, 01:25 PM
I don't know if you've driven on AP1 but the engagement is lower and the clutch is a little stiffer.
yes, I owned an AP1 and this never happened.

Quick Reply: clutch slipping but not consistently