S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch slipping?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping?

Recently I've noticed a difference when I really let the car out. Before when I would run through the gears (shifting at redline), the car really "banged" into the next gear. I guess that's how I would describe it. You could just really feel the car pull and go. Now it's almost like it's too smooth, and there's no pull. The car has no problem going into v-tec and pulling, it's as soon as I throw it in the next gear and floor it the rpms just seem to drop for a second and then pull up. When shifting through the gears "normally" the car feels fine, it's only when I'm shifting in the higher rpms that this is happening.

I had my clutch go out on my 94 accord (the beater), so I know what it feels like to have a clutch go out. It happened around 135k and in that instance and the rpms would rev high and the car didn't want to move forward.

is the clutch slipping on my s2000? If not what else could it be? I loved the way the car just jumped into the next gear when I really got on it... and now it's not. whyyyy??? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, well I guess you could be getting a little slippage but it's difficult to tell from your description. When my clutch was slipping, it was pretty noticeable. I would shift at redline the rpms would spike up a bit as the clutch slipped. It wasn't THAT bad at first but it eventually got annoying so I bought the HTG clutch kit.

Maybe your car got sick from driving behind me on the way back from the Evans Tuning meet?

You said the RPMs drop for a second and then pull. If the clutch were slipping, wouldn't the RPMs be shooting up as the clutch slipped, then fall once it grips? I'm just thinking out loud here...

When was the last time you cleaned your air filter?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^you're right, had to replace my clutch not that long ago.

Mine was so bad that anytime I floored it, revs would just go up, car wouldn't go any faster, then 4-5 seconds later it would maybe grab.

When I took out the disc, there was NO clutch material left on it...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM

If you start off in a high gear such as 4th (3rd might work), the car should stall and cut off. If it revs without moving or stalling, the clutch is slipping.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

61k miles is nearing the life of a clutch, especially if you drive like you described in your post.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jshimer23,Aug 7 2008, 05:39 PM
Maybe your car got sick from driving behind me on the way back from the Evans Tuning meet?

When was the last time you cleaned your air filter?
maybe that's why I need to clean my air filter! all that black smog being sucked up along the way prolly clogged my baby up!

I'll check that as soon as I get home today.

At least I don't drive around all the time the way we did going to and from the meet... otherwise my clutch would've conked out a loooong time ago!

I'll see how it reacts in the higher rpms once I clean the filter. Hopefully it's just that.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by heathas2k,Aug 8 2008, 09:07 AM
maybe that's why I need to clean my air filter! all that black smog being sucked up along the way prolly clogged my baby up!

I'll check that as soon as I get home today.

At least I don't drive around all the time the way we did going to and from the meet... otherwise my clutch would've conked out a loooong time ago!

I'll see how it reacts in the higher rpms once I clean the filter. Hopefully it's just that.

Thanks for the input guys!
I'm not completely sure it's your air filter but what you describe doesn't sound like your clutch slipping. It just sounds like your car isn't pulling as hard as it used to.

You obviously know what it is like when the clutch is completely shot (your accord example). A clutch that is JUST beginning to slip feels similar but not as severe. When you shift hard the RPM jump up a bit as the clutch slips and then drop to the correct RPM once the clutch grabs. But that's not what you described. So...

As stated, check your air filter and other simple stuff to rule that out. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of answers and maybe more enlightend ones can chime in.

Or maybe you just have gotten "used" to the car's power level and because of this the car doesn't "feel" like it's pulling as hard.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jshimer23,Aug 8 2008, 04:24 AM
Or maybe you just have gotten "used" to the car's power level and because of this the car doesn't "feel" like it's pulling as hard.
the "go faster syndrome" is a bitch.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM

^ yeaaaa, I sure hope that's not it. I got that feeling when a blower 3 series beamer walked all over me a while back. made me want to go out and make my car faster. watching the guy walk away from me like that made me want to cry.

I definantly feel more "as one" with the car, but it's just that "pull", like when you get the tires to chirp, just is not there anymore when shifting at redline.

we'll see.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:16 AM

Well in the local forum you said you were heading up to the strip to get some more runs in. If your times are WAY off from what you pulled last time, then that might be an indicator. Obviously if your times are close, then that just could be due to different track/weather conditions. Just a thought...