S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Slipping!

Old 11-14-2001, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping!

Now my clutch has started slipping, but only under stern acceleration. I took it to my dealer and they have initally said I would have to pay for it if it was a worn clutch. I have 6600 miles on my 2001 car and I drive it in a conservative manner. How could this be possible? I will go talk to my salesman and the finance head of the dealership. Any other ideas about what I should do? They tell me it will cost me $1500 to fix it.

Any information about whom to call or talk to would be much appreciated. I've read a number of other similar posts and it seems many people are having this problem. Plus Honda has upgraded the clutch for MY 2002. Doesn't this suggest fault in the old clutch?

How do I contact American Honda or the Zone managers?
Old 11-14-2001, 10:55 AM

The AHM number is in your owner's manual. I agree with you, BTW. Whether or not it is your fault, it is not a routine wear failure. I'd keep a low profile, though, until you give them the opportunity to fix it for you. They'll be less likely to help you if you've trashed them here. I'd be interested to hear if they tell you it's an unheard of failure that they are generously offering to "courtesy" warranty.

A bad engine or transmission seal are also good explanations for your problem. It may just be a bad clutch or pressure plate. And yes, it could be operator error. First, let them diagnose it. Then ask them to speak to the zone rep. Then ask for the rejection in writing. Then appeal to AHM by certified mail. I don't think that your're revised piece argument will get you far. Companies are loathe to admit generalized liability (like "yes, we knew all of the clutches are bad"). Just argue that it should have reasonably lasted longer particularly "since it is a Honda." Vanity does work.

If you need to, you can pay to have the work done and keep trying for a refund. Keep in mind, though, that they are less likely to refund your money if you've had it fixed at other than a Honda dealer.

A state consumer affairs office or TV consumer reporter may be able to help you. Ultimately a lawyer might prevail depending on your states consumer laws about reasonably expected utility.

Good luck. Don't argue your case here.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:57 AM

I know I am not really replying to the original question, but don't even consider paying $1500 to replace the disk at a dealership. The stock honda disk costs $200 and labor should be around $400-$500 at a mechanic's shop. You could have a complete upgraded performance clutch setup with lightweight flywheel for $1500...
Old 11-14-2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by DJRobNM
...They tell me it will cost me $1500 to fix it...
WHUT!? You need to find a new dealership. Do you have money spilling out of your pants pockets!? They're trying to fund their personal Xmas purchases, if you ask me.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:20 AM

I would like them to diagnose the problem, but what they are telling me is to diagnose the problem means taking the car apart and thats what they want to charge me $800 or so in labor. They said if it was a defect and not just wear they would pay for it and while I am sure it is a defect, I don't think they will be too quick to point that out, because then they would have to pay for the replacement and not me.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:09 PM

when i had mine swapped at 13k miles service manager told me they have to lower the whole drivetrain to do the repair

maybe that why its so much

it took them 2 days to do mine they also swapped the flywheel do to the clutch disc rivets biting into it