S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch slipped on launch vs. F355

Old 05-28-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This car is not designed to take clutch drops. Very few cars take clutch dumps well ... it's just a bad idea all around. The rear tires are very difficult to spin and something else will give. Typically it's the diff or CV joints. Not cheap.
If you want to get out of the hole faster ... get a lower ratio in the rear end. Additionally, Ganley Honda states the '04 housing is superior to the earlier year model diff housings and incorporated some of the mods Comptech uses in their diff housing + larger oiling channels. The Comptech is still a stronger housing though, but the '04 housing is a great comprimise though.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Having said that this was the first time you've "dumped" the clutch, I am tending to think that your interpretation of "dumping the clutch" or "dropping the clutch" is not what you think it is and you did it incorrectly. There is many examples of people with NA cars and S/C'd cars with and without "gears" having "launched" their cars hundreds of times and have logged tens of thousands of miles on the original clutch without issue to any of the their drivetrains. Then, I've heard of many people, who after a few clutch dumps, have totally Bar-B-Q'd their clutches and fried their diffs. Done correctly and with the proper knowledge of powertrain mechanics, you "could" do it repeatedly. Done wrong, it only takes once to break something. Please don't take these statements as my way of telling you that it's OK to now go out and practice doing clutch dumps till you get it right. This is NOT the car to figure out how to do it right.

Insofar as getting a stronger clutch, again, if it is used in the proper manner, whether it be "dropping" or not dropping, it will less impact to the rest of the drivetrain that you may think. If you are already doing it wrong, then having a stronger clutch might be of some assistance to you in "slipping" the clutch to get that better take off OR, it may be all it takes for you to break something even faster.

Regarding the Comptech "reinforced" housing, it is not a stronger "housing". It is a kit that comprises of stronger ends caps and carrier bolts. The housing as such, is not any stronger than before. The OEM '04 housing, on the other hand, is made of stouter stuff.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:49 PM

Sorry for the bad info on the housing and thanks to xviper for clarifying.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by xviper
The OEM '04 housing, on the other hand, is made of stouter stuff.
could you please clarify more xviper?
any more new info on this yet? how much stronger than the older diff?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
Old 05-28-2004, 06:16 PM

thanks
do you know if the new diff housing is cast iron or aluminium?
and do you know if the parts are interchangeable with the older diff?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:42 PM

I don't remember what it is made of. I think it is still aluminum. As for if it is compatable with older models, this question was asked before but I don't think anyone really knew the answer. I don't believe anyone has tried one yet.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:49 PM

thx xviper
bummer
Old 05-28-2004, 07:07 PM

Jeff at Ganley Honda offers the '04 housing as an alternative to the Comptech reinforced when they set up the gear swap (via Rick's site). I put in my order today for the 4.57 gear set ... the '04 bolts right up. I believe the front part of the housing is a cast ferrous metal (probably iron). The rear cover is aluminium. The total unit is heavy!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced an F355 before and spanked it!

Just kidding. All I saw were taillights and heard the beautiful sound of that engine/exhaust. It was music to my ears!

Quick Reply: Clutch slipped on launch vs. F355