S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Slippage

Old 09-02-2002, 07:18 PM
cbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slippage

I have searched several times for this topic but decided to see if anything new and exciting has come about.......I hear many people talk about clutch slippage from 1st to 2nd from all years. It seems to me as none of the TSBs seem to really fix this problem and the only true solution is to replace the clutch. How many people have done this and what are the impressions of the aftermarket clutches..They seem to be quite expensive and not very many companies out there make them. Please let me know thoughts on this subject..
Old 09-02-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my MY2001 clutch replaced for the TSB and to day I noticed that it grabs much better than the old one ever did. I am now able to chirp the tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When I hit second with any gas at all, it will really spin the tires.

I was never able to do anything like that with my old clutch and supposedly only changed the clutch disk. Amazing.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've written a bit of info on the kits here and there, here's one of the most recent ones - just scroll to the bottom for info.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=76643

also, if you are going to MSR this coming weekend, I'll be available to answer any of your questions.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:59 PM

Yes the OEM clutch is not very strong and if your drive is aggressive you will have some major slippage and the famous not so good smell !!

A few company supply clutch for the s2k like ( Starclutch )( Clutchmaster )( Centerforce )(advance clutch technology - ACT )and i found this one yesterday :http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/clut...es-carbon.shtml
Old 09-02-2002, 09:50 PM

I have a star stage II clutch. I have had it for about a month and love it.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
I just had my MY2001 clutch replaced for the TSB and to day I noticed that it grabs much better than the old one ever did. I am now able to chirp the tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When I hit second with any gas at all, it will really spin the tires.

I was never able to do anything like that with my old clutch and supposedly only changed the clutch disk. Amazing.
That's impressive! My '02 won't chirp the tires in ANY gear! You probably wound up with a much more usable combo, if the dealer only replaced the clutch disk. I'm told that the newer pressure plates have less clamping force than the older models. I wonder if the newer clutch disks have higher friction coefficients to partially compensate for the lower clamping force of the newer pressure plates.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:46 PM

Timely post, as the OEM clutch can't handle my power, and I'm going to have to replace it soon. Suggestions (and a calibration of what I should pay in labor for the installation) would be appreciated. I'll probably also go with a lightweigh flywheel when I have the clutch replaced.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

That's impressive!
Old 09-04-2002, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just my take, but chirping tires has more to do with milage on the tires, tire compound and tire wear - not really how much your clutch grabs. of course, it helps, but its not as great of a factor as tires and effort in clutch drops.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]just my take, but chirping tires has more to do with milage on the tires, tire compound and tire wear - not really how much your clutch grabs.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slippage