S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch slip at high rpm

Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slip at high rpm

i have a 2002 S2K with 72,000 miles on it, I have no idea if the clutch has ever been changed.
I've put put about 2000 miles on it sense I purchased it. I am having a problem with the clutch slipping at higher RPMs. My first thought is "needs clutch", but it seems like if the clutch is out...its out, it cant heal itself...lol It's done this 3 times to me. each time it slips for about 3 or 4 days.

At full operating temp, One day I can run it up (hitting VTEC) to about 8500 RPM shift and run it up again through all gears with no problem. Then one day I will do it and when I mash the throttle after the shift, all I get is a rev with hardly no pull. When it slips I can let the RPMs drop below 6000...give full throttle and it will pull great until next shift?? Drive it slow for a few days and it will start pulling great again.

All fluids are good, no smell of any kind when this happens.

Someone told me that it has some sort of clutch sensor that would allow slippage so you would not shock the rear end. If so could this be the problem? And can it be bypassed in order to see if this is the problem?

Sux cause I finally got to run it against a camero (older model) and from 20 MPH start I jumped him 1st and 2nd gear....hit 3rd and it started slipping!! At which time I had to eat his dust....
thankful for any info...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_junky,Apr 7 2010, 01:34 PM
Someone told me that it has some sort of clutch sensor that would allow slippage so you would not shock the rear end. If so could this be the problem? And can it be bypassed in order to see if this is the problem?
Clutch delay valve wasn't available until 04.

Sounds like you need a new clutch - when mine went bad sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it slipped like crazy. Check it while you can still drive it or it will leave you stranded somewhere.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New clutch.

You glaze it when you slip it and it'll be worse for a few days. Eventually it'll slip all the time.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you tear it up, try this:

1. Check for fluid leakage. Look on the floor/firewall under the clutch pedal.
2. Check clutch fluid/ bleed the system real good.
3. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder, and carefully remove the slave. Then see if you can grease the splines on the mainshaft. Also, grease the shiftfork, and the slave pivot ball. If it's rough, smooth it, and grease it too.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kirpich,Apr 7 2010, 06:36 PM
Before you tear it up, try this:

1. Check for fluid leakage. Look on the floor/firewall under the clutch pedal.
2. Check clutch fluid/ bleed the system real good.
3. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder, and carefully remove the slave. Then see if you can grease the splines on the mainshaft. Also, grease the shiftfork, and the slave pivot ball. If it's rough, smooth it, and grease it too.
Wut? None of those fixes apply to clutch slippage.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

^ I agree. Just need a new clutch. Same thing happens to me but I am supercharged with 125k on the stock clutch. Slips over 8k now it seems. Man I hate that smell haha.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Man I hate that smell

what smell?? I get no smell?With clutch released I have roughly 2 inches before it disengages. I know every bit of NOTHING when it comes to mechanics. I hear 2 inches is normal? when clutch is worn You would have very little push and it would be disengaged. but hay yall know more than me for sure...lol
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

When it slips and glazes/burns the clutch you get a strong burning smell. Might not notice it if your top is up though.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Seeee...thats what I thought. NO smell at all. I would stop and walk around the car to check for just this....no smell. that is what was making me think a sensor.

I am going to grab my owners Manuel and double check because I could swear they showed a fuse under the hood that was labled clutch sensor.or something to that effect.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. No sensor. It's pure mechanics/hydraulics.

Quick Reply: clutch slip at high rpm