S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch slip

Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch slip

I installed a competition clutch about a year ago, stage 2 and it worked great. However there was always a strong clutch smell. I wrote that off as break in. Well now after the break in period my clutch is slipping bad. 4k+. Tried adjust the pedal and tried bleeding the fluid, then I noticed my clutch (arm?) was pretty far twords the back of the hole in the casing. As in the clutch is arm resting on the slave cylanders fully retracted position. What are my options? Is there any way to adjust this? Is it possable I burnt out my clutch after 500 miles? I havn't ever drropped the clutch....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armthehomeless
I installed a competition clutch about a year ago, stage 2 and it worked great. However there was always a strong clutch smell. I wrote that off as break in. Well now after the break in period my clutch is slipping bad. 4k+. Tried adjust the pedal and tried bleeding the fluid, then I noticed my clutch (arm?) was pretty far twords the back of the hole in the casing. As in the clutch is arm resting on the slave cylanders fully retracted position. What are my options? Is there any way to adjust this? Is it possable I burnt out my clutch after 500 miles? I havn't ever drropped the clutch....

Strong clutch smell shouldn't be part of break in. How many miles did you put on the clutch with the smell? From what you wrote, your clutch is toast. Can you still get into all gears?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Yea all gears work fine. Just slippage past 4 k. There are 500 miles on the clutc. I don't understand how I can burn a clutch in 500 miles. It should also be noted that I have a lightweight flywheel, possible spacing issue? As in the clutch is too far foreward?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a competition clutch and it would reek when ripping high rpm's then one day the disk just shattered in traffic.

I have never EVER abused my car, spirited driving yes but abuse never. (never tracked or launched)

Was not satisfied with the product at all.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

sounds like your clutch pedal is not adjusted right
Old 03-31-2012, 01:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're lucky it has some life left in it.
Stop driving it, and IF you really really need to drive it, don't slip it.
You have to get under the car and find out if its adjustment or worse.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 AM

My buddy has a competition clutch stage 4 6 puck sprung did you guys resurface the flywheel if it was previously used? He has over 3k miles and grips like a champ.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the rod is too far in the reservoir make-up valve will always be closed, and clutch wear can't be compensated for.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 AM

I had a problem with mine on the first 1500 miles. The disc completely shredded off and competition said that's not their problem but if i buy a new one ill get 30% off. Why the hell would i buy another shitty clutch for 30% off so it can cause another problem? I'll never buy a competition product ever again. Their customer service is horrible.

If you Wind up having to get a new one just go OEM. I couldnt be any happier with mine.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
sounds like your clutch pedal is not adjusted right
I cant 't adjust it out any farther.

Originally Posted by SpitfireS

If you're lucky it has some life left in it.
Stop driving it, and IF you really really need to drive it, don't slip it.
You have to get under the car and find out if its adjustment or worse.

Ive been underneath it I think the problem lies within the housing. the resting point for the cluch is really far back, It was hard to put the slave cylinder back on.

Originally Posted by Flawless_S2K
My buddy has a competition clutch stage 4 6 puck sprung did you guys resurface the flywheel if it was previously used? He has over 3k miles and grips like a champ.
It has a brand new flywhee , lightweight.

Originally Posted by SgtB
If the rod is too far in the reservoir make-up valve will always be closed, and clutch wear can't be compensated for.
the problem seems to be inside the actual clutch housing, If there is a good way of cheacking clutch wear without opeining up the engine , i may attempt to shoten the little piston on the slave cylander

Originally Posted by SkateForGirl
I had a problem with mine on the first 1500 miles. The disc completely shredded off and competition said that's not their problem but if i buy a new one ill get 30% off. Why the hell would i buy another shitty clutch for 30% off so it can cause another problem? I'll never buy a competition product ever again. Their customer service is horrible.

If you Wind up having to get a new one just go OEM. I couldnt be any happier with mine.
I hated my stocker, it doesn't grab at all, im definately not going with competition again though

Quick Reply: Clutch slip