S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch/Shifter Issues

Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch/Shifter Issues

Hey all, I am having a small amount of trouble with my s2k. I have been driving the car for 2 years and this isnt how it has ever acted, so dont say its normal.

First, my clutch has been dis-engaging alot harder than normal lately. When shifting to any of the gears, when letting off it seems like it has to grab hard to get going. I even let off really slow and ride the clutch a little bit to see if it makes a difference, it made none. Also after driving on the highway for about 60 miles the clutch feels mushy, and dis-engages even harder.

Second, the last few weeks my shifter has been getting really notchy. I know the normal notchy feel, and it has gotten alot worse. It seem like it takes a little more force to get it into the gears now. Could this also be caused by my clutch?

I did a fluid change a couple months ago, bled it, and did everything like you are suppost to. It was all fine until a couple weeks ago. My fluid is always topped off, so it wont be that. I also checked more than once for any signs of leaks on the master and slave cylinder, couldnt find anything.

I did a search and didnt find anything really helpful. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When clutches go out, in my experience, the disc and both bearings tend to take a dump at the same time. It is not unusual to find one of the springs is missing from the disc, or that all your grease points are dry. Notchy shifting is definitely a sign you need a new clutch. As for the hard disengagement, I don't really understand the problem. Are you saying that you need to tug the shifter out of gear, or that when you press the clutch, you feel a clunk?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM

^
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's normal.

Serious:
Does the clutch slip at all, as in: the revs go up but the speed doesn't?
That is the most common sign you need a new clutch.
Notchy shifting IMO doesn't mean you need a new clutch by default.

What do you mean by "dis-engaging hard"?
Hard to press the pedal?
When you let the pedal come back up very slowly, does it "follow you foot", do you feel a constant force from the pedal?

Something is making the clutch not dis-engage fully.
That could be hydraulics (most common), master-to-pedal adjustment but it could also be the clutch disk missing a spring that is now wedged in a spot preventing a full dis-engagement, as mentioned by flyingtoaster.
I guess its hard to see a missing disk spring through the small hole where the fork sits, it may not be possible to see it at all.

What milage on the clutch?
What type?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Keep in mind, I experienced no slipping before my 2 clutch installs (one was an integra). But both discs had a very thin friction layer remaining. But shifting was notchy and engagement was harsh in both cases. The S2 shifter needed to be tugged out of gear and the Integra shifter would not go into or come out of gear except at a narrow window of RPMs where the flywheel and input shaft were at the same speed. These are issues with the bearings.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM

You may also have a portion of the friction disk that delaminated and is floating or like me you may have had a spring break out of the housing. I experienced very similar issues. Either way ordering a clutch kit and just replacing the parts would be a good idea.

Just prior to doing this I would test/check your hydraulics before hand. Just my .02
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM

had a similar problem with my r32. turns out i needed a new clutch
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright thanks guys. Its the OEM clutch and has 95,000 miles on it, so I know it would need replacing soon anyways. The dis-engagement is weird. It feels okay sometimes, but usually when going into second I let off the clutch normally and it seems like it takes like half a second until it grabs, then makes the car jerk back sorta hard when it does. It doesnt do it all the time, but usually going to 2nd gear, and I even miss 2nd gear sometimes now because it is takes a little more force to get it in there now. After I get my hardtop painted I suppose a new clutch is next on my list!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM

i want a hardtop!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 PM

I would replace that clutch first. You are stressing your transmission synchros.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Shifter Issues