S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch replacement question.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch replacement question.

I'm gonna DIY my new pressure plate. Just have a quick question,

Do you need a S2000 specific clutch alignment tool? Or is it not need for our cars?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The 90-97 Accord uses the same tool
Old 11-22-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's the same tool used for late model Preludes and Accords. You can do it by "eye" but this takes a bit of luck and experience.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done about a dozen and a half clutch jobs. Using naked eyes to align always works perfect for me. A couple of times we used an alignment tool but failed to mate the tranny with the engine with a good 15 minutes of wiggling. Took it out and scratched our heads. After realigning with naked eyes and gave it a try, the tranny slipped right in with ease. So, forget about an alignment tool and just use your naked eyes. Take your time and a work-light and very carefully check the position of the clutch disc splines in relation to the pilot bearing in the flywheel.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Get an alignment tool. If you are fighting with installing a transmission working on you back, you don't want to be fighting with it any longer than you have to. Most people can't eyeball one accurately.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Nov 22 2005, 04:25 PM]I think it's the same tool used for late model Preludes and Accords.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will be my first time, so i guess ill get an alignment tool Dont wanna be caught without it! Do they sell said tools at any local autozone or pepboys? or do u have to order it from somewhere?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:11 PM

For those who are interested or curious what "exactly" to look for when using naked eye to align the clutch, here's what you should do:

1). pick an eye which you know is more accurate,
2). align your head such that when you look at the wall of clutch disc hub splines, you see the same amount of "wall" on all sides (12 o'clock, 3, 6, 9, etc),
3). once you get 2), notice the position of the pilot bearing in relation to the clutch disc hub splines, all the while without moving your head. If the clutch is not centred, wedge a big screwdriver in and move the disc to the desired direction (assuming PP is not over-tightened) and redo 2) and 3).

I know the process is more tedious and perhaps not even feasible in some extreme cases, but my point is that if you do it right, there's no luck involved. I use this tedious method over the alignment tool method not because I cheap out on a tool. It's because I've been caught by the luck (out) factor using an alignment tool and I know how not fun it is to try wiggle the tranny in for a good 15 minutes.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:16 AM

It's been a very long time since I've personally watched or assisted with the replacement of a clutch assembly but I remember using something as simple as a sawed off broom stick as a clutch alignment tool.

Any of you folks that have done this recently on the S2000 think that would ba a viable alternative? Seems to me that it would be better than trying to rely on the eyeball method.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Nov 23 2005, 07:16 AM
...I remember using something as simple as a sawed off broom stick as a clutch alignment tool...
You are kidding, right? I've never heard of using a broom stick to align clutch. I can't imagine the end of a boom stick to be able to tight-fit into the pilot bearing. Even a proper clutch align tool can be wiggled sideways enough to misalign. I don't see how a broom stick can do the job properly without luck involved. If you can do it properly, eyeballing is 100% reliable. If you aren't sure, just spend a few bucks to get the clutch align tool (forget about the universal clutch alignment tool kit which usually wiggles way too much). Your back will thank you.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement question.