S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Replacement

Old 02-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

Guys,

Sorry if this is an ignorant post, but I tried the search and didn't get a definitive answer. My clutch is completely gone, as-in slips to the point of almost no use. In an effort to save some money on parts, and possibly getting an aftermarket clutch, I was wondering what parts typically need to get replaced for a problem such as the one I'm describing. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Typically the Clutch disk iteslelf, Pressure Plate, and Throw-out bearing. Atypically you might need to replace your flywheel. You should at least get the flywheel turned to clean up the face and to ensure it is true.

Most clutch "kits" you would order would include the disk, PP and TO bearing.

It is a good time to replace the clutch fluid (basic DOT3 brake fluid.) and since you are dropping the tranny (and an empty tranny is a lighter tranny) you should consider replacing the tranny fluid too.

I am not 100% sure about the S2000 Transmission setup, but on a number of cars there is also a Pilot Bearing. This is a wear item also and is fairly inexpensive to do while you have it all apart. This part is not typically including with clutch "kits."
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Don't forget the rear main seal, it won't forget you.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Feb 20 2006, 11:40 AM
Don't forget the rear main seal, it won't forget you.
I don't know of anyone that has needed to replace the rear main seal.

I would do the FW, FD, PP, TO bearing, and you might as well get a new pilot bearing.

Good cleaning and lubrication is important to clutch feel. If you have someone else do make sure you have a conversation about that.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Don't even think about messing with the rear main seal. It is high tech and it will be fine.

There is a pilot bearing, it's pressed into the flywheel. If you buy a Comptech lightweight flywheel, it will come with a new pilot bearing. As for OEM you can just pop it out with a driver once the flywheel is out.

I would also take a look at the fingers on the end of the fork. If they are worn (you'll see a step from where the TO bearing was) get a new fork. Otherwise it will be ok.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Feb 20 2006, 03:33 PM
Don't even think about messing with the rear main seal. It is high tech and it will be fine.

There is a pilot bearing, it's pressed into the flywheel. If you buy a Comptech lightweight flywheel, it will come with a new pilot bearing. As for OEM you can just pop it out with a driver once the flywheel is out.

I would also take a look at the fingers on the end of the fork. If they are worn (you'll see a step from where the TO bearing was) get a new fork. Otherwise it will be ok.
Interesting, a 'high tech' rear main seal. What designates this? What makes it so durable?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Who knows.....the fact that I've pulled 20 s2k clutches and not 1 rear main seal has even seeped one drop.

That was sarcasm bro, I speak from experience.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:40 AM

It's good to speak from experience, but that doesn't mean you don't need to change the rear seal. If the majority of your clutch jobs were on relatively low miles cars [60k and under], then the rear main seal shouldn't be leaking anyways, not until 80-100k+.

I speak from experience as well, I've done or helped with 20+ clutch jobs on cars from FD's to 300zx's to 240's to every b series honda, many 100k+ cars rear seals leak, regardless of make/model. If no one has ever heard of another s2k leaking a rear main seal on the board, that is better evidence because there have bound to be some high mileage ones.

I'd still replace it if I had over 100k or was doing my second clutch. As long as it is just another oil seal like every other car [hency my question], I don't see why you wouldn't.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I at least have some clue as to what needs to be replaced now and can shop accordigly. Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Feb 20 2006, 09:32 AM
Typically the Clutch disk iteslelf, Pressure Plate, and Throw-out bearing.
if hes keeping the OEM setup, is replacing the PP really neccessary?

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement