S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch replacement

Old 07-23-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement

OK, so I'm racing an RSX..I shift into second and the rpms stay the same...they dip some then come back up. At the same time I notice a "dust cloud" in my mirror. DAMN...the clutch is slipping.

Now I'm searching the internet for several hours looking for a replacement.

I think I found a great deal. It is an Exedy Hyper Single kit. This kit includes a flywheel, pressure plate, disc, throw out and release bearings...all for $943. I have seen this kit on several other sites for $1400. The only drawback is that the site claims deteriorated daily driver status due to chatter and harshness. Has anyone used this clutch or drove a car with it?

Second option is a Fidanza aluminum flywheel $340 and a SPEC 6 puck clutch for $611 or a Centerforce for $700. Anyone used these?

I don't want to be dissapointed after installing a clutch so I appreciate any feedback before I buy. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:38 PM

you dont like the OEM?
ive seen that a lot of people keep the oem plate but switch flywheels
Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

I think you will seriously regret putting an Exedy in your car. It is very grabby, and a total pain on the street. Plus the service life sucks. This is all first hand info, I've done a few.

Go to hardtopguy.com and buy his clutch kit if you want something better than OEM.

Comes with Comptech lightweight flywheel, ACT pressure plate (modified oem unit) oem disc and new bearings. I've installed about 6 of these, one in my car, prolly 3 SC'ed. Highly recommended.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I went with the Fidanza and Spec 6 puck. I really like the flywheel. Its light weight lets the motor rev even quicker. One note is if someone buys this flywheel get a new pilot bearing as the flywheel did not come with it. The clutch is a little grabby, but I can live with that. After 500 miles of easy driving I had a chance to run it hard through 1-4. The clutch performed great...the 2nd gear slipping is gone. I will just have to see how long the life of the clutch lasts. It took me 2 days(I was delayed waiting for the pilot brg) to put the clutch in and I don't want to do it again anythime soon.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:34 AM

I guess you did the work yourself.
You have a "normal" garage, or do you have a lift?
My car is a daily driver and HPDE weekend fun machine. Then there's the rare time when I just have to take care of bidness. Just this morning, I think it was a Pontiac with all the crap on it, pulled up next to me and revved. So I agreed. My S took his car but DAMN, the clutch slipped in 2nd and 3rd gear. (I've already removed the delay oriface.)
I'm a fairly decent mechanic and have a well-equipped garage - but no lift. How tough is it to remove the tranny and do the deed?

CB
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

I've done over a dozen s2k clutches on the floor in my garage (carpet on the floor makes for nice working conditions).

The first one I did was on a lift, which I have access to right down the street. I actually prefer to do them on the floor
Old 08-29-2005, 11:24 AM

My brother and I just finished the clutch job on my MY00 on saturday. This was the first in an S2000 but we've done clutch jobs and tranny R&R in a miata at least 9 times plus a good few other clutch jobs in other cars, all on jackstands. The only little problem with jackstands instead of hoist for clutch job in an S2000 is the header removal. We had my S2000 at least 1ft up in the air but I couldn't "steer" the removed header below ground to get it out of the car. I had to wait til I dropped the subframe the designated 3 inches to get the header out. Other than that, there's no problem using jackstands for clutch job in the S2000.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM

So, what do you all think. Is the slippage more pressure plate, or flywheel?
I'm currently thinking of just replacing the pressure plate.

Word?

CB
Old 08-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SPLNDID,Aug 29 2005, 11:32 AM
So, what do you all think. Is the slippage more pressure plate, or flywheel?
I'm currently thinking of just replacing the pressure plate.

Word?

CB
I would guess you have a glazed pressure plate and/or flywheel since you have a '04 and the clutch should be pretty new. Any clutch-chatter? Weak pedal pressure? Why not trying a warrantee claim?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm mechanically inclined. Have never done a clutch job before but I'm thinking of tackling this with a buddy one weekend.

I have read through Reverand's (sp) site and it doesn't look like rocket science.

Any tips not listed in the helms? Not sure if i will do this on a hoist or jackstands.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement