S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch replace - Starter bolt removal was easy because I...

Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default Clutch replace - Starter bolt removal was easy because I...

Starter bolt removal was easy because I completely removed Alternator from the car.

I was following one of the very good Clutch replace DIY's (along with the Helm's manual), and instructions say to just pivot the Alternator out of the way. But I was having a real tough time figuring out how to get the socket extension to make multiple compound curves to get to the starter bolt (which I could easily see by shining flashlight through runners of intake manifold). So I just removed Alternator, mostly to get a better look, and to my surprise, this bolt that everyone says is such a pain, I just slid the extension in there (via hole where Alternator used to be), it went straight onto the bolt (I was using a pivot socket), and stuck my Impact wrench on it, and zipped it off just like that.

Time to remove bolt once alternator was out of the way, less than one minute.

The car is an '06. All stock. The socket was an impact socket with built in pivot (it has a kinda ball/socket pivot, not the U-Joint type pivot I've usually seen on sockets. Not sure if that made the difference, as the pivot is tight, doesn't flop around like the U-Joint types seem to always do). It was actually a 9/16" socket, since I don't have these pivot sockets in metric yet. It is 1/2" drive. Used a 1/2" drive extension. 1/2" drive Impact Wrench (battery).

Pivot sockets I used are from Harbor Freight. These: (well, mine are SAE, and I cheated and used 9/16". But below are the ones I should have been using)

Note, I also used these sockets to remove one of the upper Trans-to-block bolts (the very top 2 I removed from above, per Billman method). Well, I actually only removed one of the uppers, since the idiot shop the PO used to put in the craptastic aftermarket clutch (that lost its springs, which jammed the PP, and TO bearing was nearly toast too, but hey, I got nearly 35K miles out of it, plus whatever PO got, so I should be pleased), NEVER PUT THE UPPER TRANS BOLT BACK IN!!! Plus, they only put in 3 (of the 4) motor mount bracket bolts back, ON BOTH SIDES OF MOTOR. You ever work on a car, and have stuff left over? I am having opposite, not enough stuff to put back in. They also gouged up the interior apparently trying to figure out how to remove shifter boot. I am still finding stuff they screwed up. The horror!

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-12...set-67911.html
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I took my alternator off to get a good look at the upper starter bolt too. Much easier. But I wouldn't say it was a ten minute job after that. It still took some finesse to line up the socket with the bolt head since I couldn't see the bolt head when guiding the socket and extension in place.

In hind sight I could have just gotten the socket close then crawl under the car to physically put the socket on the bold head. You can't see the upper starter bolt from under the car but you can feel it.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
I took my alternator off to get a good look at the upper starter bolt too. Much easier. But I wouldn't say it was a ten minute job after that. It still took some finesse to line up the socket with the bolt head since I couldn't see the bolt head when guiding the socket and extension in place.

In hind sight I could have just gotten the socket close then crawl under the car to physically put the socket on the bold head. You can't see the upper starter bolt from under the car but you can feel it.
In my case I could see it, and easily guide the socket right to it first try. I rested flashlight on intake, so it shown on bolt head. Then looking over fender, and under intake, could see bolt head as guided socket to it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine, I took the top bolt off the alternator and just moved it over. No need to take the whole thing out since I heard it's a pain to put back on. I also took the tensioner and the bracket that holds it in place. Theres a black "L" shape bracket that connects to the intake manifold that needs to come out before taking the tensioner bracket out. After that, it was a straight shot to the top starter bolt. Didnt even need a flash light. Its a extra 5 mins but we'll worth it imo.