S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch repair gone wrong

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch repair gone wrong

I had my clutch replaced and the mechanic said it was fine. I drove it about 10 miles out when I noticed the engagement point changed. On the drive back to the mechanic I noticed it slipping when I gave it a good bit of gas. The mechanic said it was because the adjustment under the pedal had been messed with and was not allowing the clutch to make full contact.
He changed that adjustment and says it works fine and the clutch isn't damaged. Should I actually believe the clutch didn't suffer any damage from me driving it ~10 miles with it slipping occasionally?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you guys finding these incompetent mechanics?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

you could have glazed or hot spotted the flywheel, and if the clutch is slipping it is suffering damage.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gustafve
I had my clutch replaced and the mechanic said it was fine. I drove it about 10 miles out when I noticed the engagement point changed. On the drive back to the mechanic I noticed it slipping when I gave it a good bit of gas. The mechanic said it was because the adjustment under the pedal had been messed with and was not allowing the clutch to make full contact.
He changed that adjustment and says it works fine and the clutch isn't damaged. Should I actually believe the clutch didn't suffer any damage from me driving it ~10 miles with it slipping occasionally?

I highly doubt you damaged anything in less than 10 miles. if the clutch is damaged you will know it as it will continue to slip or not engage/disengage properly. If that's the case, the mechanic should be pulling the transmission free of charge to get the job done right. If the clutch is acting fine now im pretty sure everything is fine..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by apme123
where are you guys finding these incompetent mechanics?

This is why ill never take my car to anyone but Billman..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its possible that he adjusted the rod too tightly as he said... I did the same thing the first time I tried to adjust my pedal as well. Its kinda like you just rode around with your foot lightly pressing in the clutch pedal for a few miles. You wouldn't want to do it for a few hundred/thousand miles, but 10 miles will not kill anything. As long as it is grabbing strong now and you have a small amount of slack when you start to push in your clutch pedal before you feel it give resistance, then you are fine now.

People try to take ALL the slack out of the pedal. You need a small amount of slack to ensure that the pedal is not always slightly compressed.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I hate most mechanics, they just don't care. Where did all the customer service go in this country?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlozano180
I hate most mechanics, they just don't care. Where did all the customer service go in this country?
India and China...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM

As long as you didn't slip it badly you will be ok. If you just noticed the slipping and then did it once or twice more there will be no issue. Most clutches require a 500 mile or so break in period before you give it a "good bit of gas". I'm not sure what you put in there but you may want to follow the manufacture recommendations if you want it to last. As for the pedal adjustment, it could be legit. This would not be the first time I have seen this. People wear their clutches out and it starts to slip or the pedal engagement point changes, so they crawl up under the dash to take out the slack and go a bit to far. Then the car goes to the tech and they change the clutch and take it around the block with no issues. Customer picks up the car and drives 10 miles and the pressure in the clutch hydraulics builds up and causes the slave to remain engaged causing slip. Adjust the pedal back in and the master cylinder releases the stored pressure and all is well. I used to see this on Mitsubishis a lot as they are hungry for clutches and their owners tend to be tinkerers. I guess what I am saying is it may not be the techs fault and people are often quick to blame them when something goes wrong. Just my opinion, and I'm not even sure if the S2000 pedal is adjustable.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 AM

^agreed...the pedal is adjustable though

Quick Reply: Clutch repair gone wrong