S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Release Fork

Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you take the tranny off without releasing the fork? Everyone says you NEED to release it and I can't seem to remove the tranny right now.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

It is impossible to remove the trans without disengaging the fork. If you attempted to pull the trans, and it's pinned against the fork, that's your problem.

Be sure the trans and block are flush together before attempting to remove the fork. Does it wiggle?

Drop the subframe the full 3 inches, or expect a major headache getting the trans out.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue the first time I disassemble an s2k motor. I had no idea you needed to release the clutch fork to separate the trans from motor. I was using a prying bar to separate and once I realized it was a no go, I went to the internet. Try using vice grips again and a pry bar or something against them for leverage, thats what I did.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the trans and motor back together, pull lever backwards, create a 1inch gap between motor and trans, pull lever completely out, pull trans (Y)
Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
It is impossible to remove the trans without disengaging the fork. If you attempted to pull the trans, and it's pinned against the fork, that's your problem.

Be sure the trans and block are flush together before attempting to remove the fork. Does it wiggle?

Drop the subframe the full 3 inches, or expect a major headache getting the trans out.

Thanks again, for your insight.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll try all of these suggestions later today and let you guys know what happens!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 PM

I couldn't get any of my friends to help me today, so I did the best I could with my weak arms and the help of two shitty floor jacks. I got the guide posts aligned and the driver side in there and flush, but the top passenger side still has about an inch gap. I'll try to get help tomorrow or Thursday, but I already have some play with the Release Fork and can pull it out about half an inch. I don't know why it wasn't moving before I tried to pull the tranny out.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 AM

Got a buddy to help me out. We ended up bolting it back in all the way, the fork came up with much ease. I have no clue why it didn't do this in the first place. Got the tranny out after dropping the passenger side subframe less than another inch (driver side won't drop anymore, I don't know why). Got the pressure plate off with ease.

FLYWHEEL!! I need to have it resurfaced but the bolts don't want to come off. I'm using a impact gun on it and it dont have enough room under the car to get enough force (tranny is just chillin under the car). Any ideas besides move the tranny from under the car? I tried spraying rust removal, idk if that's bad for the flywheel or whatever else down there, but that didn't do anything.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Rust is not your problem, and any spray will only aid in stripping the shallow flywheel bolt heads.

You need a more powerful impact gun, its that simple. They will come off.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM

Well shit. I might have to buy another impact gun. When I took the pressure plate off, a lot of black powder fell out. I'm assuming that's just from the destroyed clutch. Is that anything to be worried about?

Quick Reply: Clutch Release Fork