S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Realese bearing guide and fork wear

Old 09-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Realese bearing guide and fork wear

Hey guys, this is my first post regarding any technical issues. I'm currently replacing the oem clutch with a Comp Clutch stage 2 kit and 11 pound flywheel.

I had two questions that I didn't find much input about.

1. I noticed the release bearing guide has a lot of wear on one side and a groove that is very noticeable as well. I had a feeling this was the case because the pedal was rock solid on morning start-up and I had to press the pedal very hard to break it free. I have a new bearing guide , but was wondering what caused the uneven wear?

2. The clutch fork has grooves where it rides against the throwout bearing. Are those OK to leave as is or can they be filed down smooth to make sure there is no binding.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Those parts didn't receive enough grease on installation, make sure you get yourself a supply of Honda Hight-Temp grease as recommended in the service manual. After a few years of use you can re-apply the grease to the shift fork points through the tranny opening using a wire hanger. If you want a perfect clutch service I'd replace the fork and guide, and you might want to check the spring as well, you don't want to go in there again any time soon. The old parts may never give you trouble but to me it isn't worth risking as I find a tranny removal a huge PITA job, others might not.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Those parts didn't receive enough grease on installation, make sure you get yourself a supply of Honda Hight-Temp grease as recommended in the service manual. After a few years of use you can re-apply the grease to the shift fork points through the tranny opening using a wire hanger. If you want a perfect clutch service I'd replace the fork and guide, and you might want to check the spring as well, you don't want to go in there again any time soon. The old parts may never give you trouble but to me it isn't worth risking as I find a tranny removal a huge PITA job, others might not.
Everything that was supposed to be lubed was covered in dried up grease, so I am assuming all the worn clutch material caked everything up.

Are you referring to the spring clip that holds the fork in place? I might just file down the fork for now unless someone has strong advice not to do so. I'd only have to remove about 1/2mm of material.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:28 PM

There were many cases of shaft splines rusting from not enough grease on them from the factory, causing clutch pedals to stick or operate roughly, I assume they didn't apply much grease to the other parts if they missed a critical part like the shaft splines. That guide almost looks like it is varnished up.

Yes the spring I was referring to is the one that works against the fork.

You can file the fork smooth, chances of it causing issues would be very low.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
There were many cases of shaft splines rusting from not enough grease on them from the factory, causing clutch pedals to stick or operate roughly, I assume they didn't apply much grease to the other parts if they missed a critical part like the shaft splines. That guide almost looks like it is varnished up.

Thanks, now i just have to get the damn UREA grease! I've used hi-temp cv grease in all the other clutches I've done, but seems like the consensus is to use the Honda Urea for good measure ( I don't want to do this clutch again lol)
Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by first-s2k
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1380486499' post='22802197

Thanks, now i just have to get the damn UREA grease! I've used hi-temp cv grease in all the other clutches I've done, but seems like the consensus is to use the Honda Urea for good measure ( I don't want to do this clutch again lol)
Yeah it is expensive, but it goes a long way and you can use it on a host of other parts in the future, might be enough to last the life of the vehicle. I think it is less likely to slide off / fling off parts compared to CV grease.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely use urea grease and replace the questionable parts with oem. Make sure the fork doesn't rattle either.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
Definitely use urea grease and replace the questionable parts with oem. Make sure the fork doesn't rattle either.
The pin still seems pretty tight.. I shook it with no noise. Ordered the Urea grease from the dealer this morning for $12. Hopefully it's all its cracked up to be