S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch questions and TSB-054

Old 03-03-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch questions and TSB-054

ok here's the deal - car is dead in the dealership won't move clutch is completely gone (looks like a bird's nest) flywheel is scored badly and they claim i need a new pressure plate.

Car has 37.5 miles on it and i had the tsb-054 done less than five thousand miles ago..

backing up a hill hear a noise and then no more clutch towed to the dealership

DSM says owner abuse, holeshots, etc etc and he won't cover it. Never once did i spin the wheels - they claim $1,500.00 to fix it..

Could this premature failure be caused because the dealership did not re-surface the flywheel when they put the new disk in?

I know the TSB does not call for re-surfacing

Thanks
Bass
Old 03-03-2004, 07:11 AM

called the DSM and he says nope never heard of that..
Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 PM

Didn't you say in an earlier post that your nephew was driving the car before/at the time of the clutch failure?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:55 AM

yes but he's a safe driver and i trust him with my car the kid's 29 (not a kid) . there's no way he could have blew the clutch when i saw that where the car was parked (steep hill driveway). if it blew in the street there would have been no way for him to get it home. there were no push / tow marks anywhere on my car

he was backing out of the driveway (sleep incline) about 1/2 up he hears a noise and the clutch is gone. owner abuse no excessive wear on the tires, drive tran, or diff.

i do recall the new clutch feeling weak when i first picked it up after the tsb
Old 03-04-2004, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bass
(steep hill driveway)
Old 03-04-2004, 04:36 AM

RACER - ok but a total explosion of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel - yes it was steep - please expalin what you mean
Old 03-04-2004, 05:10 AM

Could this premature failure be caused because the dealership did not re-surface the flywheel when they put the new disk in?
I doubt it. The TSB only call for a new pressure plate after all... I wouldn't expect them to do anything else.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear. Join the crowd. Honda is going to deny you, just like they did to me. I did not even get the original TSB approved, so have dealt with the clutch buzz the entire time.

Sad thing is..........if you lived in another city and went to a Honda dealer there....they might just say yes! Inconsistent flakes!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:56 PM

Typically, engaging the clutch from 0 mph will cause 80-90 percent of all wear. If you combine engaging a clutch from 0 mph in combination with a steep hill driveway, then it is just going to be really hard on the clutch. If you have a really steep hill driveway, there is not a whole lot you can do. Just a disadvantage of having a steep hill driveway.

What do you mean by your clutch set exploded? Did the clutch disk shatter? or did the metal of the friction disk that houses the disk crack or break?

I wouldn't attribute a steep hill driveway towards a clutch exploding, but would attribute engaging the clutch from 0 mph on a steep hill towards burning and wearing out the lining on the disk and causing burn marks on the pressure plate which also would cause the clutch to chatter upon engaging from 0 mph on any surface.

Can you call other dealerships and ask if they will warranty your clutch? I don't know how far the next dealer is from you, it might not hurt to try. Sometimes if you are persistent, they will honor warranty issues.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2004, 04:05 PM

If you are going to replace.....I wouldnt go with full OEM. My clutch just went last weekend and today I ordered an OEM disc, OEM throwout bearing, ACT PP, and Comptech flywheel. These will all be installed this weekend for a couple hundred under what you were quoted. I have only heard good things about this set up.

Quick Reply: clutch questions and TSB-054