S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Question: If it's "worn down"...

Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Question: If it's "worn down"...

I currently have my car at the dealer pretty much getting the engine replaced. I blew a spark plug and it went down into the cylinder and tore apart the cylinder head and small block (both being replaced). This is all being covered by Honda due to the fact that they never did the plug recall. See my other thread regarding this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=261841

Now the reason for this post is that they just gave me a call and told me that while they were in there prepping the car for the engine (that should arrive today or tomorrow), they noticed that my clutch looks like it has a lot of wear on it and that it should be replaced.

Now my problem with this is that I replaced the clutch with an ACT HD PP, OEM Disc, Comptech flywheel, and OEM throwout bearing at 48,000mi. I now have 64,000mi. I don't see how there is anyway possible that I have worn this clutch, esp since I haven't even been driving it hard and am not FI. They said that since they are aftermarket parts that they would not be able to cover it under the other repair work and that I would have to foot the bill. Are they just trying to get some money out of me due to the fact that they are paying for all the other stuff?

After I started talking to the service guy a little more and explaining when I replaced the clutch and that there is no way it is worn out, he started to sound pretty timid and back off (could have just been me looking for that) and said that the tech didnt explain it in detail to him.

I am going in tomorrow morning to take a look at this so called "wear". I wanted to know what I should be looking for. If anyone could give any pointers I would appreciate it.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM

To clarify.....I will be physically looking at the clutch assembly itself. Not trying to drive it or anything performance wise.

I know that can be assumed by the statements above, but just wanted to throw that out there
Old 02-01-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds to me like they are trying to get another pound of flesh from you while they have your car in "custody". Take someone with you who is knowledgeable about what clutch parts should look like. The flywheel would look like it has had "hot spots" and severe scoring if it truly needs to be replaced. The PP shouldn't be affected at all during this time unless it was a defective one to begin with and you would have noticed this. The clutch disc itself would also look scored and getting close to the attachment hardware (thin) and maybe even look shiney if it was bad.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would expect to pay an extra hour or so out of pocket to get the clutch FD replaced while it is accessable. Yes, a clutch can have notable wear in those miles depending on usage.. shifts and slips wear the clutch, driving in one gear does not.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:46 PM

I bought the car at 38,000mi and had to replace the clutch at 48,000. I was able to see the old parts and can take a look at them to see if the current parts compare to the old ones. I don't think I would be able to get someone knowledgeable about what clutches look like on such short notice.

it's just hard for me to imagine the upgraded clutch wearing down that much in 15,000mi when the original lasted 48,000. I know how to drive (not claming to be an expert) and dont think that I have been hard on the clutch at all (shifting and such).

I have done minimal hard shifts and have not noticed ANY change in the clutch during driving since day 1 of the new install (causing doubts about the wear on the PP).

I am going to have the tech point out what "wear" there is and will try to take pictures (not sure if that would help).

If ANYTHING I could see the clutch disc POSSIBLY needing to be replaced, but not any of the other stuff.

I more wanted to get a little confirmation from knowledgeable people here about my feeling that theyre just trying to...
get another pound of flesh from you while they have your car in "custody".
Thanks guys!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

If I were you, I would go ahead and order a new OEM friction disk from HardTopGuy since they are only $90, and have them replace it only. Personally, I think they are just yanking your chain, but it is probably worth $100 to negate 15K miles worth of wear on it. You are going to have to go through the whole break-in process again anyway. You might as well break in the new clutch too.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 AM

Just got back from the dealership.....I am going back to take pics, but here's what I've got so far...

They have the whole thing apart and said that its all been overheated. It looks like there are hot spots on both the comptech flywheel and the ACT PP contact surfaces. They said that the disc is fine. The best way to explain the hot spots is they kinda look like a water stain on the contact surface and are a little blueish. By water stain I mean something like if I were to put a couple drops of water on a piece of glass, smear them, and then let them dry, it looks like that (not sure if that describes it well).

Couple questions:
Is it ok to have hot spots on the PP?
Is it possible to resurface the comptech flywheel?

I will post pics shortly.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Former Sponsor

My OEM flywheel looked like that when I recently replaced my clutch. I just scuffed it up really well with sand paper. I still think you should replace the friction disk, especially if it has been glazed (overheated).
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 AM

I got pics of the flywheel and ACT PP. In talking with the tech, he said he could "scuff" and clean off the contact surface as good as they can for the flywheel, but recommended replacing the PP. I am going to have them do the flywheel, but had a question regarding the PP.

Do you think I can keep the PP in there and the extra clamping force will make up for the little bit of over heating? Is it possible to "scuff" the PP in a similar fashion as the flywheel?

The tech said that the clutch disc is in perfect condition, and after looking at it I would confirm that.

I would think if anything would be worn out it would be the disc. Any ideas on why the PP is overheating as well as the flywheel? Is it possible that it is adjusted incorrectly?

I plan on replacing the disc while theyre in there, but I want to know if I can use the current PP and Flywheel.

I also bought these parts from Tech2. Is this something that would have a warranty?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

They can both be scuffed up.

Quick Reply: Clutch Question: If it's "worn down"...