S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch question for Billman

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch question for Billman

Recently, I adjusted the master rod to eliminate all of the rod play. That pretty much got rid of my notchy shifting. It went well until a hot day, my clutch started slipping. I thought maybe I lengthened the rod too much, so I shortened the rod a bit so there was a little play. But i notice with hot weather, my clutch will start to slip as I give over 50% throttle. It feels normal when cold, but when temps get hotter, the clutch stiffens a bit and starts to slip. Also note that my clutch engages very high up in the travel. Any thought of why this is happening? Is my clutch going out? Po said the clutch was changed right before i got the car so i hope thats not the case.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Using one pinky finger, gently measure your clutch free play. Don't push any harder than you would poke yourself in the eye. How much free play do you have?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

The free play is minimal but its there.. I readjusted the rod after it started to slip. But i noticed on hot days, the clutch will start to stiffen up until there is almost no free play and it will slip. Should i shorten the rod? My clutch engages very high. After it engages i only need to lift my foot off half an inch and ill be off the pedal.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM

minimal is no good.

adjust so there is a noticeable freeplay.

s2ks come from the factory with 2 distinct freeplays. first is slop in the linkage (remove this)

second is the built in neutral zone in the master (leave this play)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

How does one go about removing the slop in the linkage ?, I understand how to lengthen the clutch rod, but I never looked at the linkage.

I also had clutch slipping due to the freeplay tightening up on me, I know I had some freeplay dialed into the system but after a bit of driving it seemd to close up and was then putting pressure on the master cylinder causing slippage under heavy throttle and VTEC engagement.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Billman, the factory manual says that the clutch height should be 7-7.5 inches? Mine is only about 6-6.5 inches. Should I raise my clutch up considering the engagement is very high? JFUSION it sounds like you need to shorten the rod a bit. Thats what happened to me as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_down
Billman, the factory manual says that the clutch height should be 7-7.5 inches? Mine is only about 6-6.5 inches. Should I raise my clutch up considering the engagement is very high? JFUSION it sounds like you need to shorten the rod a bit. Thats what happened to me as well.
yeah thanks, I have since opened it up some more after the slipping incident.

When measuring the clutch height you have to keep in mind it is measured from the floorpan as shown in the shop manual, there is the carpeting and padding that makes the measurement tricky to estimate. You should try to get the clutch height within spec but push the carpet down as far as you can and estimate the distance to the metal floor within your calculation. hth.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM

do not follow the manual.

just use your pinky to determine freeplay. look up under the dash and watch the rod.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You don't need to fixate about the specific peddle height measurement per the oem recommendation. If your engaging late at the end of the peddle then thats an indication of a worn clutch disc, but to help offset this feel you can adjust the rod in, just realize at some point you will sacrifice smooth shifting or disengagement all together, because you are not pulling the pp off the friction disc far enough. Then what ever rod adjustment/peddle height your happy with, adjust the free play amount at the other adjuster which has the clutch bypass button incorporated into it. Doing this will always insure you have proper free play no matter where your clutch peddle is adjusted. It sound like you may have created some premature disc wear already by not doing this. You ALWAYS need free play, if you do not that means you are already, or are very close to, not having the friction disc fully seated under max pressure from the pp on your flywheel and the disc will slip and burn up.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM

S2000junky, what do you mean by the second adjustment?

Quick Reply: Clutch question for Billman