S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch question

Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch question

How do you know when the clutch is going bad??? And is there anyway I can put it thru a test to see if its going bad???

P.s: My friend told me that if i'm at 40mph that I should put it in 6th gear and give it wide open throttle and if it hesitates while the rpm's build up then my cltuch is going bad....

I havent driven the car in 2 weeks just because im not sure if the clutch is going bad and I dont wanna get stuck in the middle of the road and have to tow it
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by s2kking
How do you know when the clutch is going bad??? And is there anyway I can put it thru a test to see if its going bad???

P.s: My friend told me that if i'm at 40mph that I should put it in 6th gear and give it wide open throttle and if it hesitates while the rpm's build up then my cltuch is going bad....

I havent driven the car in 2 weeks just because im not sure if the clutch is going bad and I dont wanna get stuck in the middle of the road and have to tow it
"hesitates while the RPMs build up" means that the car doesn't accelerate but the RPMs go up anyway. This test will tell you if your clutch is not holding like it should - it means the clutch is slipping and allowing the engine to spin faster while not accelerating the rear wheels.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iniamyen
Originally Posted by s2kking' timestamp='1391805067' post='23004411

"hesitates while the RPMs build up" means that the car doesn't accelerate but the RPMs go up anyway. This test will tell you if your clutch is not holding like it should - it means the clutch is slipping and allowing the engine to spin faster while not accelerating the rear wheels.

i did this test when i first brought the car 2 yrs ago and it wasn't hesitating... i did the same test like 6 months ago and the car still didnt hesitate.. it takes a while for the rpms to build up but im assuming thats normal since im at 40 mph and in a high gear...

heres some more info i drive it daily and every now and then i go thru the gears and shift at high rpm "9k" and it switchs gears perfectly fine i dont hear any grinding or any noise for that matter...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM

i just wanna know what signs i should look for that indicates that the clutch is going bad...
Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its kind of one of those things that I've noticed can be hard to explain, you just feel/smell it.

If you're in 4th gear at say 28-30mph and stomp on the gas, if you see your rpms rise, but the car isn't accelerating like it should, and then feel it catch and pull harder that's a slipping clutch. I forget what the "ideal gear" is for testing clutch failure in our cars, we are limited because there is a lot less torque so the higher gears 5th and 6th tend to catch anyway...

In my 2006 when I would shift (very quickly) at max rpm 8k, into the next gear, the car would whine and not accelerate for a brief period, then would catch and continue accelerating, same for first-second, second-third, third-fourth. However the catch is, with ap2s (04-09) they have a clutch delay valvee which allows some slip to keep shock away from the rear diff and allow more freedom while shifting, I removed my c.d.v. when I replaced my clutch and haven't had a problem since.

Also, when I was under full acceleration, I would notice a burning type smell from the car around 75-85mph but during normal driving conditions I never noticed a smell.

Hope this helps. Try a YouTube search. I'm sure there's some tips on there.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM

How many miles are on the car? All of the answers above are good tips. 3rd gear is best to check if the clutch is slipping, According to s2ki "What to look for when buying a used s2000" Thread.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
How many miles are on the car? All of the answers above are good tips. 3rd gear is best to check if the clutch is slipping, According to s2ki "What to look for when buying a used s2000" Thread.

I brought the car with 18k and now it has 28k...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Needsmorepower!
Its kind of one of those things that I've noticed can be hard to explain, you just feel/smell it.

If you're in 4th gear at say 28-30mph and stomp on the gas, if you see your rpms rise, but the car isn't accelerating like it should, and then feel it catch and pull harder that's a slipping clutch. I forget what the "ideal gear" is for testing clutch failure in our cars, we are limited because there is a lot less torque so the higher gears 5th and 6th tend to catch anyway...

In my 2006 when I would shift (very quickly) at max rpm 8k, into the next gear, the car would whine and not accelerate for a brief period, then would catch and continue accelerating, same for first-second, second-third, third-fourth. However the catch is, with ap2s (04-09) they have a clutch delay valvee which allows some slip to keep shock away from the rear diff and allow more freedom while shifting, I removed my c.d.v. when I replaced my clutch and haven't had a problem since.

Also, when I was under full acceleration, I would notice a burning type smell from the car around 75-85mph but during normal driving conditions I never noticed a smell.

Hope this helps. Try a YouTube search. I'm sure there's some tips on there.

I will give it a try in 4th nd 3rd gear today... but as far as smell goes I dont really smell clutch burning and like I said I dont really get any noises when shifting at high rpm or hesitation...

Now when I test it in 3rd or 4th on a 30-40 roll and stomp the gas all I should be looking for is a burning smell and weird noises or should I keep an eye out for hesitation as well??

Also hes some more info I dont know if it'll help but here it is when im clutching nd after I have switched gears and start to lift off of the clutch pedal ive notice that the clutch releases rather quickly even when I release the clutch pedal slowly..
Old 02-08-2014, 04:29 AM

Id say with 28k you *shouldnt* have any issues. Maybe bleed out your clutch and put fresh fluid in and see if that changes anything. I've got a buddy with 150k on oem clutch, I had 62 on my (second) s2000 that needed a clutch, another friend with 120k on her s2000 original clutch, and my previous s2k was totalled, but had 85k and no signs of worn/wearing clutch.

When you bleed out your clutch, pull back the boot that covers your shift fork and be sure you're getting a full range of motion when the clutch pedal is pressed-easier to see than explain.

Billman may have some other ideas, that's about all I've got.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM

What year s2000? Could be the clutch delay valve.

Quick Reply: clutch question