S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pushrod length & throw - UPDATE - FIXED!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pushrod length & throw - UPDATE - FIXED!

I have a question and in need of advice.
I installed a stage 3 pressure plate and paddle clutch disc. I also bought a new flywheel from xtreme.

I keep bleeding the clutch and I'm not getting a good throw in the rod to the fork. There is no air in the system.
The pushrod throw to the clutch fork has very little movement (say 1/8). I checked the slave clutch cylinder and measured the pushrod, I found out the rod length is max out and can't push any longer. First, why is this happening?

I read somewhere that when using a hi-performance clutch, you need an extended rod to get 1/4 inch throw to release the clutch.
http://speed-source.net/?wpsc-produc...clutch-pushrod
I have no choice except to buy 1/4 more extended pushrod. kindly advice....
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How does the pedal feel? Is it stiff? Have you driven the car?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 AM

Unfortunately the car still at the jackstands finishing the install of the radiator.
While on the stand I bleeded the clutch, the rod & fork are moving but the rod is already extended (max out). It cannot move any farther.
I asked my machine shop to make me an extended rod about 1/4" more to push the fork a little bit longer.
When I had the stock clutch, I can see the movement of the fork atleast an inch. With the performance clutch, it seems the spring a little bit different and much stronger & why the slave cylinder plunger rod maxed out?
My master clutch cylinder is made by Omni.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3...install019.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/390...install013.jpg
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Do you have pedal travel? I experienced a similar issue which turned out to be the a fork install issue.

Awesome project by the way.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:33 AM

Can you elaborate the problem of the fork install issue?
Yeah I have a travel play on the master clutch cylinder. The omni is short travel by the way compare to the stock.
There is nothing else I can think of the fork issue. All I did was to insert the fork to the release bearing.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

How much pedal travel should there be before you feel the resistance from the CMC? I think Billman says 0 and somewhere else I read 1 inch. I would bet money on Billman being right.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Zero pedal play at this point.
My problem is the length of the pushrod to the clutch fork. it's max out! It will not move any farther.
The only solution is to extend the pushrod 1/4 inch longer. If I have a long rod, the rod will push 3/4 deep of the slave cylinder.
There will be enough throw to push the performance clutch pressure plate spring.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 PM

If you reinstall the fork prior to the trans being bolted to the block, the fork can end up on the wrong side of the bearing. I had extremely tough pedal pressure, but the car would go into gear. It wasn't smooth and required some force to get into gear. When I started chasing this problem, I also thought my slave wasn't traveling far enough.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Update: Thank you Mr. T aka (RacerXI)The fork was at the wrong lobe of the release bearing. I bought a small mirror and I moved the release bearing to the right lobe. yOU ARE RIGHT!!
I have more than enough pushrod travel now!!!! plenty !!!

Anytime, you can to test drive my 900 lbs Lotus 7 http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1430/supercar11.jpg supercharged!
Thank you again!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM

Glad you figured it out. I had the same idea when mine did that. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't come up more often. Get that monster on the road. It looks like fun.

Quick Reply: Clutch pushrod length & throw - UPDATE - FIXED!