S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch proplems

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch proplems

here is the deal i have an 07 s2000 i just bought a stage 2 competion clutch and had it installed a month ago.
first my throw out barring went out on me so then i got that replaced.
then i was having lots of trouble getting my car in to gear so i took it back to the mechanic and i just replace the master cylinder and also the slave cylinder and right now when i went to go pick it up i am still having the same exact issue my gears are super hard to go in
every single gear.
as i try to put it on gear even my car tends to move forward or reverse when i put it on 1,2,or reverse?

I NEED HELP YOU GUYS LOL
im going crazy i want my car back to how it was lol
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your clutch is "dragging". IE, it's not fully disengaging. Possibilities:
1. Something is not right with the clutch installation. The TO bearing should not go out a month after a clutch job. They probably didn't grease it where they were supposed to grease it. That's a common mistake by more than a few "expert" mechanics. Who knows, they may have done something else wrong.
2. You've got the wrong clutch parts for the application.
3. When they changed the clutch cylinders, they didn't bleed the system properly. There's still air in there. Or they didn't install the parts right.
4. The clutch pedal rod is way out of adjustment. It may have been adjusted at some point in its life and now that you've got new clutch parts, it needs to be adjusted again.

You need to find a mechanic who knows the S2000, not just some "really good, really experienced mechanic".
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
1. Something is not right with the clutch installation. The TO bearing should not go out a month after a clutch job. They probably didn't grease it where they were supposed to grease it. That's a common mistake by more than a few "expert" mechanics. Who knows, they may have done something else wrong.
3. When they changed the clutch cylinders, they didn't bleed the system properly. There's still air in there. Or they didn't install the parts right.
4. The clutch pedal rod is way out of adjustment. It may have been adjusted at some point in its life and now that you've got new clutch parts, it needs to be adjusted again.

You need to find a mechanic who knows the S2000, not just some "really good, really experienced mechanic".

do you think my clutch is defected or something is wrong with my clutch installation because i mean when ever i step on it and do a quick shift i mean it sure grabs very good but what i do notice is that my clutch do engage very very low like once i pull up a lil on the pedal the car is moving already and the pedal do tend to get stuck a little at full pressure with my feet like if something holds it back then snaps out of it??
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 PM

These are possibilities. I'm not able to drive your car to be able to say anything definitive. Do the cheap stuff first. Make sure the clutch fluid is properly bled and then try a clutch pedal rod adjustment. If these don't help, the other alternatives will be more expensive to investigate. You may also consider polishing and greasing the slave plunger ball and release fork socket on the side of the tranny. A proper clutch job would have included this procedure. This is what may be making it feel like it's sticking. The low pedal friction point is likely air in the system or a badly adjusted pedal rod, but bad clutch or bad installation can mimic air or rod maladjustment.

PS. A "dragging" clutch can also be known as a "grabby" clutch, so it should grab well.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper

The OP PMed me and I told him the same...If me and XV are on the same page you can guarantee your problem is as stated.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ironically, My car (live in ATL) was the one that Competition used as the donor car to test the new clutch you now have in your car. I've had it for almost a year now and it's absolutely great. Before I go into review about it, I'll tell you that I had the same symptoms (minus the throw out bearing). What it turned out to be was my clutch pedal adjustment. For some reason, when having this clutch installed, you have to re-adjust the engagement point on the pedal. I believe that there's a quick tutorial on how to do that, on this forum. You only need a 12mm open end wrench. Takes a few moments. After finally getting it in the right spot, I was able to slide the shifter into the desired gear, with little to no drama.

I would start with the cheapest solution (would've in your case) by adjusting the engagement points on the clutch to see if it made a difference. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

The reason for this is the PP positioning.

And with this, I have seen CC PPs release under centrifugal force, allowing clutch slip.

I refuse to install any CC product into an s2k until this gets rectified. Even if the customer ask me to install it I won't.

Yes it makes sense that the CC unit may require slightly more disengagement due to positioning. So lenghtening the rod may nip it.

It will not address any slip however, only disengagement.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The OP PMed me and I told him the same...If me and XV are on the same page you can guarantee your problem is as stated.
And I consider Billman to be the final word on anything mechanical.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanx you guys ima do a adjustment on the pedal and see how. That feels
if I don't see a difference I think it's going to be my clutch that's defected I'm guessing or what you guys think?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by cesarortiz
Thanx you guys ima do a adjustment on the pedal and see how. That feels
if I don't see a difference I think it's going to be my clutch that's defected I'm guessing or what you guys think?
You could still have air in the system. Do the pedal rod adjust, then another clutch fluid bleed if necessary. These may prove to be non-permanent fixes.
The stickiness in the pedal movement may be due to the ball and socket at the slave being pitted. These should have been ground and polished and grease at the time of the clutch job. It can still be done without taking the tranny off.

Quick Reply: clutch proplems