S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch project

Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah life is good haha. I just like to do stuff my self and as an added bonus its cheaper But inevitably I've run into my next problem, I can't get the transmission off... I know what you're all thinking... top starter bolt. The first bolt I removed was the bottom starter bolt, hence why I said it was easy earlier. After realizing my mistake I went searching for that damn thing and it took an hour and a half to locate it, and about 20 mins more to take it off (its hard to keep the universal joint straight). The weird part is that where the tranny is still hanging on is where the top starter bolt is which confuses me. To be certain I got the right bolt, I went underneath the car and disconnected an engine to subframe ground wire (10mm) and from there I could reach up and see the starter itself. From underneath the car I don't think its possible to see the top starter bolt so my solution was to get my iphone and start recording a video and then shove it up there to around where it is or was in my case, and just twist it around to try to get the best angle on it. Long story short I am 99% sure I got it and will post pictures and videos for your examination to prove or disprove me. The next thing I came upon when reading was people were forgetting to disengage the fork from the T/O bearing, which I already did. Simple enough. I already removed all 6 17mm bolts and 2 14mm bolts at the bottom. So what do I look for now? Could I just not be putting enough pressure on it to get it to slide? Hopefully if this isn't enough information the video I will post tomorrow will help.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Transmission mount is off right? Unfortunately the only way to pull the transmission, provided you did everything else you were supposed to, is through a fair bit of wiggling. You can get it started with a pry bar in that slot between the block and bell housing, after that, I hope you have that sucker supported it weighs about 90lbs.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 AM

Yeah Its unbolted. I built a ghetto transmission jack out of some wood and put wheels on it, hopefully that will support it. Something came up yesterday but the video will be up after school today
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy and I did my clutch with jack stands a few years back. We had a blast wrestling that trans down on our backs
Old 03-28-2015, 08:02 PM

We got the tranny off! we got a rachetting tie down thing from walmart, and strapped it around the tranny mounts and then hooked it on the support bar that goes next to the exhaust... idk what you really call but oh well. We got a lot of tension on it and then just pried with a flathead and it popped right off. Wow the clutch dust was horrible. New flywheel is mounted but can't be torqued properly until we buy a flywheel holder so were calling it a day. Tomorrow we'll be putting most of the car back together. Which brings me to my next question... does the top starter bolt really need to go back in? I read somewhere that due to its geometry the top bolt isn't needed but I just want to be sure. Thanks everyone
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 AM

You don't need a flywheel holder! Stick one of your transmission bolts between the flywheel and block, do it so the bolt head is sideways and that it catches the ring gear on the flywheel.

Yes both starter bolts should be fastened.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use a short breaker bar on the front crankshaft pulley bolt and brace it against the subframe (wrap a towel around the handle so it doesnt dent the subframe) to stop the engine from turning.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 AM

Ok I finished everything and put the car back together and I can't believe it but it works!!! Thank god for the s2ki community lmao buy anyways, my starter sounds different now, not bad, but different. Should I be worried? I'm thinking it's from the new flywheel
Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 AM

But*
Old 04-02-2015, 06:15 AM

Might be the ring gear meshing with the starter gear. Don't beat on the clutch until 2 gas fill ups

Quick Reply: Clutch project