S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch project

Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch project

Ok so a while back, I made a post in I think May about getting an s2000 as my first car, long story short it's been awesome... It even got me through the winter thanks to some blizzaks, But anyways it has 153,000+ miles and the time has come for a new clutch. I bought an exedy Oem replacement clutch kit, and a light weight flywheel. My background on clutch/ transmission work is my friends and I changed the clutch on an e46 325 which was horrible to do but at the same time we had a lift... For the Honda we only have jack stands. I have all of the tools needed and can buy whatever I need while in the process if something comes up. So now here comes my question, and before anyone says anything I extensively searched and read though whatever I could find. What should I expect to get hung up on? In other words I would like to anticipate what is going to go wrong. Based on my experience with the bmw I am worried about this kind of thing. Nothing went right on that car... Rust, things breaking you name it. Any and all advise is welcome and thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Well I hope you take notes because you will be taking all apart to do it all over quite soon, as the Exedy junk clutch disk breaks and the even worse TO bearing goes bad.

The smartest thing you can do right now is get rid of that and go to Honda and get an OEM clutch and TO bearing.

This has been covered many times. Surprised your searches didn't already turn this up.

Yes, I know the Exedy as the letters OEM in its name, but it is NOT the OEM clutch. They are just trying to trick consumers into thinking that (and its working), while claiming they just mean its OEM-like in that its not intended to be a higher performing piece.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ what he said. return that junk exedy if it's not too late. It WILL fail on you, and probably in less than 2 years. You don't want to have to do this job again so soon, it isn't fun!

The exedy has been talked about a whole lot lately, so I'm also very surprised you didn't come across anything about it in your searching.

What will you get hung up on? The only thing that comes to mind for me is the difficulty in finding, removing, and reinstalling the starter bolt. And not trashing the knock sensor in the process. And be sure you mark the mark the alignment of the steering shaft joint well before you disconnect it, and keep the wheel in place during the process. If you're off by a rotation, you'll destroy the wire reel inside the steering wheel.

Oh yeah, and return that Exedy junk. Or did I already say that?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommend u get the honda service manual and be very carefully when taking the top starter bolt off because the knock sensor is around there and u can accidentally break it. U will need 4 6 ton jack stands because the car will have to be lift up high enough to slide the tranny out. Good luck
Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Alright so, can I keep the pressure plate and I got the fidanza flywheel so that should be good as well and then go straight to Honda and buy the disc and the throw out bearing? I'm kinda pressed for time so I can't just wait to return everything. How is the quality of the pilot bearing on the exedy kit?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This excedy clutch kit seems to have gotten good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B5...s-L&ref=plSrch
Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Don't put any Exedy parts in your car, or expect the likelihood of doing another clutch job in the not too distant future. Get Honda OEM everything so you don't waste your time. You have been warned.

Nothing wrong with the Fidanza flywheel at all.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
This excedy clutch kit seems to have gotten good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co...6s-L&ref=plSrch
how many of those reviews were done after 20,000 miles or so?

the reviews don't mean anything if they're only a few days/weeks after install.

DO NOT BUY EXEDY CLUTCH PRODUCTS. it's very, very simple

Honda OEM, with possibly an ACT HD pressure plate if you need the extra grab (forced induction/nitrous). Or the SOS full kit also has proven to be pretty good. There's really no reason to go another direction. These are well proven solutions with reasonable prices.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

and I understand if you unplug the knock sensor connector there is less chance of damaging it (doesn't stick out as far then).

Just don't forget to reconnect it.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 PM

Okay so first days progress, only problem I ran into was the exhaust manifold heat shield bolts got rounded but we got them eventually. got the transmission just about ready to be pulled, basically just gotta undo the driveshaft, and then the reverse sensor, then lower the subframe or whatever then the tranny bolts. Going to honda to buy the t/o bearing and disc... Just gonna deal with the rest of the exedy crap and the stuff I don't use I'll put on eBay maybe? Anyways it's going well I'll keep you guys updated and let you know if I run into more problems. Thanks for all the replies though I really appreciate everything!

Quick Reply: Clutch project