S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch problems again

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
Originally Posted by sunman' timestamp='1301783723' post='20423591
install error, mfg defect or maybe even user error.
x2
well I dropped it off to get an opinion from a shop. I looked over the install manual to see what could have gone wrong but I am at a loss. Also, SOS seems to have really high quality products and I couldn't believe that they would see a defective product.

edit:

after talking to my buddy that put it in i'm not sure if the driveshaft needed to be aligned a specific way (wasn't if it needed to be) and I don't think the clutch was lubed if it need to be.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you mess with your pedal adjustment?

There have been issues with the stopper being too low so when the fluid expands, it's essentially holding the clutch as if it was pressed down.

Check if you have some free play before engagement point.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Boofster

There have been issues with the stopper being too low so when the fluid expands, it's essentially holding the clutch as if it was pressed down.

I was going off this thought as well
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM

seems to be no free play. although I dropped it off at a performance shop and they insisted that it wasn't slipping. it could be possible that the fluid warmed up and expanded after I was driving for a hour and caused it to slip
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM

There's your issue. There HAS to be free play up on top. I've made this mistake in the past thinking the perfect position was at the very top of the pick up but you do need extra play.

If you get down under with a flashlight, make sure there is about a good 1/4 inch of space between the stopper, including the switch inside it.

Look in the Helms for exact measurements and adjustment steps if you need more confirmation.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

There's your issue. There HAS to be free play up on top. I've made this mistake in the past thinking the perfect position was at the very top of the pick up but you do need extra play.

If you get down under with a flashlight, make sure there is about a good 1/4 inch of space between the stopper, including the switch inside it.

Look in the Helms for exact measurements and adjustment steps if you need more confirmation.

yeah I am looking into that now. The place I dropped it off called me and said they couldn't reproduce the slipping. He said the car seemed fine to drive. The place I brought it to works on performance cars and many other S2K owners in the state bring there car there. He just left a message so I have been trying to get a hold of them again.

I only noticed it after I had been driving the car on the freeway for about 2 hours on what is a warmer day here. I guess that could have warmed up the clutch fluid enough to slip (today is kind of cold and I am sure the car was sitting for awhile before he drove it). Also since the car hasn't been tuned yet it is running very rich. Those plugs are probably messed up from running so rich so maybe the car just wasn't making any power and I assumed clutch slip.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Yes, that is exactly it. The fluid, especially oem, expands as it heats up after driving for a while.

Just back out the stopper a few spins and you'll be all good

I'm willing to be your previous clutch was just fine.