S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch problem and gear grind

Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch problem and gear grind

Hi,i recently replaced my old clutch on my honda s2000 year 2000. I fitted RPC Stage 1 clutch kit and i alredy have a few problems. First of all i have a little gear clunk or kick when i am standing still and put it from neutral to 1st gear, it seems like the car wants to move forwoard but it doesnt. My clutch engagement point is very higt, almost at the top, clutch is not slipping, its not draging, ive changed clutch fluid a few times now (ATE blue racing), adjusted clutch several times, and i have a 2nd gear grind. The weird thing is that when transmisson is cold, the shifts are smother than when the tranns is warmed up. When it warmes up after 10-20min driving it starts to get notchy and sometimes it grinds into 2nd gear. It doesnt matter if its in vtec or 3k rmp,happens even when i am slowly driving and cruising sometimes it just grinds when i shift into second. I changed my tranny fluid 6 months ago, changed clutch fluid, we lubed imput shaft, fork and everything........

Today i tried some new shifting techniques, when i shift from 1st to second i push the stick to the left and pull it to 2nd very fast and sometimes it works, so i think my synchros are doing their job.

If anyone has any idea what could be wrond please help me i think ive tried almost everything.

Thank you for your answers and sory for my poor english
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 AM

..........these problems were happening also before the clutch was replaced.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 AM

...i almost forgot, i have a nasty loud clutch buzz/vibration now form 2,5k to 3,8K rpm.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Just to rule out simple things first --- what kinda tranny fluid are you using?

Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Just to rule out simple things first --- what kinda tranny fluid are you using?

Honda MTF , not sure if its MTF3, probably MTF2
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Today i found out that i does not grind into 2nd if i push the stick hard to the left and shift from 1st to 2nd. Even if im super fast it does not grind at all this way, in vtec or low rpm.
Im confused, what could be wrong? or is my shifting technique bad, cause i just pull it straight back to 2nd?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Its absolutely normal for the trans to make a thump when you shift from neutral to 1st. You're stopping the rotation of all the internal trans parts by putting it in gear.

If you push the clutch and wait a few seconds before putting it in 1st, the thump won't (shouldn't) occur.

Your clutch engagement can be adjusted via the master cylinder rod. Set the freeplay properly. A street clutch should start to engage a little bit above the center point of travel.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Your loud clutch vibration is from the clutch damper springs not being properly designed. Which is why so many people recommend getting a dealer spec genuine Honda clutch.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Your loud clutch vibration is from the clutch damper springs not being properly designed. Which is why so many people recommend getting a dealer spec genuine Honda clutch.
If i wait 2-5 sec it goes to 1st smooth with no thumb but clutch buzz is so bad, its doing it in 2nd 3rd 4th and also 5th, not just buzzing, it sounds like a grinding vibration when decelerating and it goes away on 2-2.5k rpm.
Do you think it will go away if i just change it for geniune honda clutch dics? and will oem clutch disc fit to RPCs pressure plate?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Today i finaly fixed my 2nd gear grind and notchy gears. I went to Honda mechanic and he told me that theres a way to fix grindind. First we drained the old fluid and fill it up with
Mobil ATF oil.

1. You start the car and put it in neutral, release the clutch pedal.
2. Push the shifter towards 1st gear until the car wants to move forwoard ( push gently!!). Do that to all gears 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th......
3. Go for a very short drive, speed up to about 50-70 km/h and put it to neutral again, release the clutch pedal and repeat step 2. while the car is moving. This time push gently until rpms will start to go up a little ( 50-100 rpm), do that to all gears.
4. Go home, lift the car and drain out ATF oil.
5. I used about half quart of MTF3 just to flush all of ATF out.
6. wait for it to drain completly!!
7. Fill it with Honda MTF-3
8. Go for a ride!

My gears were much much smoother and i had no grinds at all, even when shifting at redline ...... i have a silky smooth transmission now

Quick Reply: Clutch problem and gear grind