S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Problem - desp 4 help :(

Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Problem - desp 4 help :(

Basically you can move the pedal to about 5cm off the firewall and it has no pressure whatsoever then there is a bit of resistance but i don't think the plate fully disengages... you cannot change gear unless you rev the engine slightly to match rpms and the clutch doesn't slip at all...

There is a slight bit of oil coming from the shaft of the master cylinder and seems like there is a little bit of a mark on the insulation )from dripping oil)... i am sure that shouldn't happen?? correct?

Any help would be great...
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Sounds like you MC is leaking. By "oil," I think you mean brake fluid (which is what's in the MC). It's probably getting some air in the line which is why you don't feel your clutch disengaging.

Suggest bleeding your clutch to see if it temporarily improves. If it comes back, You'll probably need a new MC.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:06 PM

^ Infidel99 said it.

Most likely if you've got fluid leaking from the shaft of the master cylinder you've got a seal issue. I'd say to inspect it closely and see if if it isn't something thats a simple fix. But it sounds like its a safe bet to get it replaced.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM

I adjusted the master cylinder to the clutch pedal and it has completely come back, how much thread should there be on the shaft? as then i can figure out if it was just a loose locking nut or not...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Ok, the same thing just happened to me yesterday. It happened right after I changed my front brakes. I didn't realize the clutch used the same hydraulic system as the brakes. Is that true?

I guess I should try bleeding the brakes first??? Not sure what I need to do here.

thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nickamsweet,Mar 1 2009, 11:49 AM
I adjusted the master cylinder to the clutch pedal and it has completely come back, how much thread should there be on the shaft? as then i can figure out if it was just a loose locking nut or not...
i don't recally anyone suggesting that you adjust the cylinder/pedal...

if you've got fluid leading, then you almost definitely need to replace the master cylinder.
check your reservoir...odds are it's low. fill it up, and bleed (or have someone bleed) the line. if it feels like it should, then change the master cylinder. it's not that difficult.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by aggiedave98,Mar 1 2009, 12:22 PM
Ok, the same thing just happened to me yesterday. It happened right after I changed my front brakes. I didn't realize the clutch used the same hydraulic system as the brakes. Is that true?

I guess I should try bleeding the brakes first??? Not sure what I need to do here.

thanks.
this is coincidence. the brakes/clutch use the same type of system and the same fluid, but they don't share lines. one having a problem won't affect the other.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 AM

allright, my fluid is low. Do I need to use Honda brake fluid or can I get regular DOT3 (or DOT4?) fluid?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM

any dot 3 or 4 will be fine
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM

It's not leaking as such, there is a small drop but nothing major, just wandering how much thread you do have on the shaft (visible on the piston side)... because it might be purely that and not a new clutch kit needed fitting... master is fine, holds pressure, no air pockets and feels solid.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem - desp 4 help :(