S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch problem :(

Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem :(

Okay, so I have done alot of research on this and seems to me it is a master/slave cylinder issue, but I want to make sure. One day i got into my car and my clutch didn't begin to engage until pressed about 90% of the way to the floor. I was barely able to get it into first gear and shifting was difficult, I had to time it just right. I got home and topped off my clutch fluid because it appeared low but this did not resolve the problem. My friend who was a mechanic for 8 years said it's something internal in my clutch but doesn't seem to be the master/slave cylinder because he figured it would be leaking, when it is not. Does anyone have any idea what it could be before a mechanic tells me some bullshit about how I need a new clutch? I never had any clutch problems before. I have 50k miles on my 04. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM

thats wierd. my clutch like feels stiff some times and then feels normal other time. idk why though
Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the fluid appears low, there's probably a leak. look around again.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

But even after I filled it back up, the problem didn't get better. I thought the clutch would start at least engaging higher, but nothing. Really confused.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Sounds like the slave cylinder is bad, i have had two go bad that didn't leak at all, one on a RX7 and one on a Nissan pickup.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM

i have to say, it's probably one of the cylinder. I had this happened to me one night when i was leaving work. First it wouldn't go into first but it would go into the other gears. THen it'll go into first but if i get out of first, i'd be locked out. So i had to time it just right to keep the car moving so i dont have to stop and get it out of first gear. Also my clutch pedal was the same way you described. There was no resistence in the the clutch pedal till you're about a couple of inches from the floor. Took it to the shop and they said it was one of the cylinder (slave or master) and it fixed it.

josh7owens, you should probably get your clutch checked out. I heard that when the clutch does that. It's usually the sign that the clutch will go out soon. Sometimes it's really heavy, then it get super soft, then heavy and it'll just go out.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by NtrllyAsprtd04,Oct 4 2009, 04:26 PM
Okay, so I have done alot of research on this and seems to me it is a master/slave cylinder issue, but I want to make sure. One day i got into my car and my clutch didn't begin to engage until pressed about 90% of the way to the floor. I was barely able to get it into first gear and shifting was difficult, I had to time it just right. I got home and topped off my clutch fluid because it appeared low but this did not resolve the problem. My friend who was a mechanic for 8 years said it's something internal in my clutch but doesn't seem to be the master/slave cylinder because he figured it would be leaking, when it is not. Does anyone have any idea what it could be before a mechanic tells me some bullshit about how I need a new clutch? I never had any clutch problems before. I have 50k miles on my 04. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I don't mean to hijack your thread but since I am having the same problem didn't want to make a new thread. My clutch also does not begins to engaged until couple of inches from the floor, but the difference is that I don't have any problems with the gears yet. It also does not have any resistance and it feels so soft. When it disenganges it also does it within inches from the floor and not likein the middle like before. The car was fine saturday, didn't ride sunday and this morning on my way to work started the problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM

if it's not engaging/disengaging until almost on the floor then you've likely got a pressure issue of some sort, meaning likely a bad slave or master cylinder
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Yeah i've been talking to many people and i'm convinced it is the master/slave cylinder. I took it to a local shop this morning, they said they would check it out by Wednesday. Hope it isn't expensive
Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Oct 5 2009, 11:15 AM
if it's not engaging/disengaging until almost on the floor then you've likely got a pressure issue of some sort, meaning likely a bad slave or master cylinder
It turned out that pretty much all my fluid was gone!!! I filled it and its better but still doesn't feel as hard as before, and I have a little gap before it starts to engaged. (feel the pressure).. Does it sound normal??

Quick Reply: clutch problem :(