S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Problem

Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda wants to charge me $600.00 to get in there and replace it. $50.00 for parts, $100 an hour for 5 1/2 hours worth of work.

Is this total bull or does it actually require that much work to, well...throw it out...

I guess I consider myself to be mechanically inclined and wouldn't mind gettin my hands dirty if I could get ahold of some specific directions. Any help on this guys?

Though there was that one time I melted my headlight in the oven...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM

One of my friends drives a z3 who was having the same problem. When he replaced it, he noticed the presure plate was cracked.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM

I paid around $1800 to put in a new clutch kit, I had a hot spot in the fly wheel and the disk was all but stripped...I took it to Honda. They charged $300 more than the local mechanic, but also offered a warantee.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM

have the same problem fixed the whole circuit, master/slavecilinder but didn't work... it must be the preasure plate issue....

Can any one tell me in simple steps how to deinstall the clutch?

nick
Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to share that I just had the same issue and seemingly resolved it this morning by removing the slave and polishing the pin sphere as well as grease the sphere, cup, fork pivot point, and the tips of the fork. Was afraid it was a warped pressure plate or scarred throw out bearing surface. So far so good on the greasing though.

Thanks s2ki for old helpful threads like these!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to share that I just had the same issue and seemingly resolved it this morning by removing the slave and polishing the pin sphere as well as grease the sphere, cup, fork pivot point, and the tips of the fork. Was afraid it was a warped pressure plate or scarred throw out bearing surface. So far so good on the greasing though.

Thanks s2ki for old helpful threads like these!
Lmao, we must have been on the same job today. I did the exact same thing today on my s2000. Lately it's been very spongy and tough to press down, it would just wear my foot out during traffic. And lately randomly sticking for a bit at the bottom.

I greased the ball and joint like last time, but this time took a look at the fork. No grease what so ever... so I greased it up, and it's a night and day difference. I'm still in shock!

Thanks guys for all the help!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 AM

^haha awesome. Getting access into that little opening to grease the fork is such a pain, and getting the rubber boot back on while also successfully catching the ball into the receiving joint is a pain as well. All this while on you back lifting your head up makes for a sore morning the next day.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
^haha awesome. Getting access into that little opening to grease the fork is such a pain, and getting the rubber boot back on while also successfully catching the ball into the receiving joint is a pain as well. All this while on you back lifting your head up makes for a sore morning the next day.

Oh man tell me about it. Even using a coat hanger, I wasn't sure if I had greased it enough. I was so sore from laying under there and holding a flashlight, and working out earlier, that I just did the best I could and said to heck with it lol. Not to mention trying to keep pressure on the slave cylinder while you try to get those 2 bolts to line up properly, wore my arms out haha.

But all in all, easily one of the best fixes I've done to my car. Feels amazing!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM

So my clutch is slipping pretty bad now, which was one thing that wasn't happening before. I guess its time to pull it open and have a new clutch, t.o. bearing, and bearing guide ready for replacement.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkWdHfFkjk

thought this link would be helpful to show how the fork comes out, as well as how it moves in the tranny.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem