S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch problem

Old 10-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch problem

Hi there guyss. I've read XVipers' posts about posting stupid descriptions so I'm going to try and explain to the best of my ability. I apologize in advance if it's lenghty.

MY'00
stock
77k mi

My clutch feels like I have to put extra effort to depress the clutch (no it's not after market)
While in the process of depressing it feels like crunching but there is no audible sound. (by crunching I mean it has the same sensation on my foot as if I was stepping on something that would crunch, or actually crush)

It also feels like the pedal has a bit too much freeplay and sometimes when I rest my foot on the pedal to eliminate the freeplay it rattles. [at idle while stopped, doesn't happen while moving] (note: I don't ride the clutch, I do this to check for the rattle)

It also engages very soon (maybe an inch after i start pulling my foot back) and most of the time it engages roughly & suddenly, causing the car to jerk. I have to modulate the pedal very carefully to avoid this. I drove my frined's S2000 and the pedal was smooth all the way back. My pedal feels like it has heavy resistance at the beginning of the release then it decreases greatly and then just slumps there in freeplay.

I think I have an idea what the problem may be but I don't want to say it and just have everybody agree with it so by having your input I could confirm my idea or reject it.

I am not sure if this is a clutch problem, pressure plate problem or a problem with the master/slave cylinder.

Sorry if I left anything out. Thanks very much for your time.

::keeping my fingers crossed for XViper to come across my thread::

Edited for spelling
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if your the original owner but when was the last time you changed the clutch fluid?

I would check under the car for any leaking around the clutch and slave cylinder....also check UTH for the Master cylinder to check fluid levels and COLOR of fluid.

You may need to flush...fill and bleed your line to check the mechanical issues with the clutch pedal.

Tim