S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch/PP/Flywheel questions -Need advice

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

Nice. No/less clutch buzz is def always welcome (probably my only main gripe about the S2k).

Does it have a diff design? Is this due to different springs, thicker spring-encasing/surrounding, or tighter spring-to-encasing/surrounding tolerances or something?

Are the pressure plates different too?

What should the list be? Ap1 PP, Ap1 TO & Pilot bearings, Ap2 disc plate? ...or should I just get Ap2 part numbers all around for everything?

Are the rear main seals the same part number too for Ap1 and Ap2? (might as well change that out too when the time comes around).
Old 01-30-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

There is no such thing as an AP1 clutch disc and an AP2 clutch disc. The revised version had nothing to do with AP2.

If you buy it from Honda, they only sell the revised disc.

What you buy on eBay is not this disc.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
There is no such thing as an AP1 clutch disc and an AP2 clutch disc. The revised version had nothing to do with AP2.

If you buy it from Honda, they only sell the revised disc.

What you buy on eBay is not this disc.
Ah, ok. Same goes for the PP, TO & pilot bearings and rear main seal?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Correct.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 18k miles on my act hd/OEM combo my 06 has an ap1 flywheel and OEM everything else. Other than the clutch engaging a little lower than oe. I have zero complaints. Everybody (very few people) who have driven my car say its the best feeling clutch they have driven. Extremely predictable, very smooth engagement.

I should possibly look into the clutch interlock bypass but I haven't yet. My car is daily driven.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S' timestamp='1453850896' post='23863402
Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming.

Right now I'm leaning towards the OEM disk with the act pp, and a 11lb chromoly aftermarket flywheel.

I just want to make sure I choose the correct setup for the hp im looking to make as I don't want have to do a clutch job all over again cuz of slippage, which is tons of labor when doing it myself on the garage floor.

Is there any big difference between going with the AP 1 14lbs flywheel versus an 11 lbs aftermarket flywheel since the weight difference isn't that much? Would one or the other have more of an impact on driveability?

Thanks.
Cost, it's ~$320 for a new Oem flywheel, but around $240 for some decent 11lbs one
Makes sense, good point; thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by chubbys2k
I just ordered all mine within 2 weeks and my last parts just got in today. Heres a rough estimate SHIPPED.

Oem honda disk: $110 ebay. Only 2 left i think.

Act prolite 8lb flywheel: $275 from moddiction (not sure if i can post his price he gave me or not but oh well)

Act hdpp: $320 also from moddiction from black friday

Oem honda throwout bearing: $138 from amazon.

Pilot oem honda bearing: $35 from majestic

Oem clutch guide: $30ish from amazon.

All these prices were shipped to my door. They all came in oem honda packages with the red label with the part number. I plan on putting my clutch in as soon as it gets a little warmer. Hit up moddiction for ur act needs. Ive looked everywhere for the best prices and he seems to have them. Prices above are the best prices around. Good luck.

Thanks, this was very helpful. When I first read that you got an OEM Honda disk from ebay & bearings from amazon I was wondering how do you know they're legit OEM honda, but since they came w the Honda red tag & part # i guess it's legit. I didn't think the clutch guide would be that expensive though. I will check out moddiction, thanks again for the tips.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
OP, I recently did everything chubbys2k did. Exact same parts list. I also threw on a new clutch master cylinder and AP1 slave cylinder (I have an AP2). And topped it off with an SOS stainless clutch line.

My initial impression was that the pedal felt very soft and OEM-like when pressing down. Letting off the pedal had more resistance and pressure, but not jarring like other stiff clutches I've driven in. Another thing I noticed was that the engagement point was much lower than stock, but I got used to it within a few days since my body and mind was used to the old clutch. After driving around for a few weeks I can't find any negatives with the ACT PP or the 8lbs flywheel. I was in the same position as you, doing a ton of research and being paranoid that 8lbs being way too light and what not. I seriously can't find a fault as of now. I would say buy with confidence because it seriously kicks ass in my book and in Billman250's as well.
Thanks thats definitely reassuring to hear... You, the other respondeners, and Billman250 have convinced me
Old 01-31-2016, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Make sure your clutch disk has green hub springs, otherwise it's an Ap1 disk and could rattle.
Thanks for the tip. good to know
Old 01-31-2016, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I have seen an ACT pp and oem disc handle 500 hp for
years on end.

Must operate car properly of course.

If you do an ACT PP with fi, I would recommend the clutch interlock bypass.
Thanks Billman, i was hoping you'd chime in. I saw the thread for the clutch interlock bypass and will do it. From your other posts, it sounds like you recommend avoiding ebay/Amazon for OEM parts; and rather going straight to the local Honda dealer for the OEM pieces like the clutch disk & bearings... Correct? The only bearings I need are the thrust & pilot bearing correct? Is there anything else worth changing while I have the tranny off? Rear main seal? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clutch/PP/Flywheel questions -Need advice