S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal Vibration

Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im experiencing the same thing timmigrant, particularly at the redline shift getting massive pedal vibration. I haven't had time to thoroughly dig into whether or not it does so at idle, low RPM etc, but would be significantly less noticeable. Did you guys ever come up with a distinct conclusion as to a solution? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
When you depress your clutch pedal past the free play, you're starting to engage the clutch fork with the throwout bearing. If your t/o bearing has dried out (from riding the clutch a lot, especially at high RPMs) it's bearings can start breaking down, getting pitted. It's a matter of time before the t/o bearing completely fails. Time to get it replaced. Since you have to pull the tranny to get to it, you should also replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and pilot bearing.

I agree. All the symptoms, from various posts, sound like throw-out bearing issues. Tranny will need to be pulled, in order to be sure.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue like this that drove me crazy since I had all of the mounts on the car replaced, my clutch and axle spacers done, and my crank play measured (low end of spec @ 130,000 miles, great news based on the overall OK-ish condition I bought it in) and my pedal still vibrated excessively. It made my left foot go numb down shifting at any RPM near and in vtech. Is this the right problem? The description in the first post seems like the closest to my problem.

Anyway, I may have fixed it yesterday after following a suggestion from a mechanic I know. In between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder there is a linkage to adjust the clutch play which is held in place partly with a clevis/cotter pin sub-assembly. The cotter pin on my car was loose so I dabbed some grease on the cotter pin at the clevis pin intersection as the mechanic suggested. It was a bit messy but most, if not all, of the vibration went away.

It's worked for one day so far!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Algaeman
I had an issue like this that drove me crazy since I had all of the mounts on the car replaced, my clutch and axle spacers done, and my crank play measured (low end of spec @ 130,000 miles, great news based on the overall OK-ish condition I bought it in) and my pedal still vibrated excessively. It made my left foot go numb down shifting at any RPM near and in vtech. Is this the right problem? The description in the first post seems like the closest to my problem.

Anyway, I may have fixed it yesterday after following a suggestion from a mechanic I know. In between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder there is a linkage to adjust the clutch play which is held in place partly with a clevis/cotter pin sub-assembly. The cotter pin on my car was loose so I dabbed some grease on the cotter pin at the clevis pin intersection as the mechanic suggested. It was a bit messy but most, if not all, of the vibration went away.

It's worked for one day so far!
so u greased the clutch master cylinder rod
Old 11-02-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

He's talking about the actual linkage of the clutch pedal.