S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal STUCK! Help?!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Thanks for the info. How would I know if I buy an ACT that its newer than the old one with that issue?
I have a supercharger installed but should be getting a brand new OEM clutch kit installed. How well do you reckon it'll manage with the power? How good is the clamping force?
So long as its not a older used one, you're fine. They haven't made the problem unit in some time. If still worried, buy from a high volume seller so you know you're not getting some dusty part been sitting on shelf for several years.

The splines rusted because previous clutch they didn't grease it. Causes crunchy shifts, as the clutch drags.

Copper grease, I don't know if that would work. Many have had issues using the wrong grease. If its too 'viscous', it will cause clutch drag.

One problem here is our cars are much more sensitive to this than most. Meanwhile mechanics that have done many clutches on other cars assume they know better than you. Rhey wanna go with what they know has worked on every other car. Convincing them to do something untried, to prevent a problem they don't believe exists, is not easy. Many a clutch job has turned out bad because of mechanic, who then insists, INSISTS he is not to blame. He knows he did it 'right', but he is wrong...
Old 09-04-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Thanks for the info. How would I know if I buy an ACT that its newer than the old one with that issue?
I have a supercharger installed but should be getting a brand new OEM clutch kit installed. How well do you reckon it'll manage with the power? How good is the clamping force?
So long as its not a older used one, you're fine. They haven't made the problem unit in some time. If still worried, buy from a high volume seller so you know you're not getting some dusty part been sitting on shelf for several years.

The splines rusted because previous clutch they didn't grease it. Causes crunchy shifts, as the clutch drags.

Copper grease, I don't know if that would work. Many have had issues using the wrong grease. If its too 'viscous', it will cause clutch drag.

One problem here is our cars are much more sensitive to this than most. Meanwhile mechanics that have done many clutches on other cars assume they know better than you. Rhey wanna go with what they know has worked on every other car. Convincing them to do something untried, to prevent a problem they don't believe exists, is not easy. Many a clutch job has turned out bad because of mechanic, who then insists, INSISTS he is not to blame. He knows he did it 'right', but he is wrong...
Ah I see. The previous guys who replaced the clutch with a cheap local puck disc DID NOT DO a good job. A simple thing like greasing the spline for crying out loud... I trust this mac though because he is a young enthusiast who worked on S2000's before so he seems pretty sure of what's good. Still I will insist that he use the right type of grease. UREA? If he's getting grease from Honda where he works then surely it will be correct. He is also going to replace the gearbox oil for me Provided this whole job gets paid for by warranty...sigh, I hope so.

What do you know about Exedy stage 1 clutches, Clutch Masters FX100/200/300, Spec stage 1 or 2?
Old 09-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Exedy = crap
Old 09-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

ACT PP and oem disc and bearings will get the right driver 150k miles or more.

I guarantee the Exedy will not make it to 20k.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM

Exedy = crap
Really??
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
ACT PP and oem disc and bearings will get the right driver 150k miles or more.

I guarantee the Exedy will not make it to 20k.
Never expected Exedy to get such a bad review from an experienced mac like you. Makes me really want to stay away then.
Is it true that the OEM kit is actually made by Exedy? I've read that elsewhere online.

By right driver, do you mean one who never drives his S2000 like an S2000 is meant to be driven? (spirited, race now and then but never abused)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Never expected Exedy to get such a bad review from an experienced mac like you. Makes me really want to stay away then.
Is it true that the OEM kit is actually made by Exedy? I've read that elsewhere online.

By right driver, do you mean one who never drives his S2000 like an S2000 is meant to be driven? (spirited, race now and then but never abused)
Exedy had he foresight, and cunning, to pull a fast one on a lot of people, by naming their clutch 'oem'. If asked, they will say that means it offers equal performance to stock, ie; its not a performance upgrade. But they don't mean it will perform the same as stock ti longevity. They just mean how much clamping force, how much power it will hold up to.

But by putting oem in the name, it dupes a lot people into thinking they are the oem supplier. They are taking advantage of the fact it that it is often the case you can buy the exact same part as oem, for much cheaper, by buying directly from vendor that makes it. So it tricks people into thinking Exedy is the oem supplier. Nothing could be further from the truth.

But the trick works. People get fooled.

Buyer beware.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

FCC is the oem maker of the clutch disc. Not Exedy.

The right driver means operating the car correctly. Whether driving wide open on the track or slow around town doesn't matter. The right driver will enjoy the car every day on the track, the wrong driver will wear out the clutch in 10k gentle miles around town.

I did my ACT pp and oem parts at 10k. Now at 145,000 and it operates like brand new. And its all track and Dragon miles.

Of the many broken Exedy kits I've pulled out, the customers have all stated there was less than 20k on the clutch. The T/O bearing will fail at 20k like clockwork. The disc will buzz right out of the box, and the springs will beat themselves loose.

The Exedy disc also looks nothing at all like the oem FCC disc.

The oem PP is also indestructible, if you don't get the ACT pp.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a exedy hyper stage 3 clutch kit installed with a vortech supercharger. This clutch was too stiff and the flywheel was too light for my ap1 used for city driving only. I swapped it out with the ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch Kit with 11.5 lb Lightweight Flywheel and ScienceofSpeed Stainless Braided Clutch Hose. This kit is a little stiffer than the stock clutch, some more clutch noise and the flywheel is just right for city use. I'm happy with the scienceofspeed parts and other people that have driven the car also like this kit.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 AM

Exedy had he foresight, and cunning, to pull a fast one on a lot of people, by naming their clutch 'oem'. If asked, they will say that means it offers equal performance to stock, ie; its not a performance upgrade. But they don't mean it will perform the same as stock ti longevity. They just mean how much clamping force, how much power it will hold up to.

But by putting oem in the name, it dupes a lot people into thinking they are the oem supplier. They are taking advantage of the fact it that it is often the case you can buy the exact same part as oem, for much cheaper, by buying directly from vendor that makes it. So it tricks people into thinking Exedy is the oem supplier. Nothing could be further from the truth.

But the trick works. People get fooled.

Buyer beware.
Ah I see what u mean. Sneaky indeed. I do however have an Exedy OEM type replacement in my AE111 Corolla 1600 16 Valve for the last 40000kms or so and no problems whatsoever.

Still for an S2000 one has to be even more careful when choosing clutches. Don't want to get duped especially since many experienced bad things from an Exedy.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal STUCK! Help?!