S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal STUCK! Help?!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

No, it clicks into the fork pivot bracket.

Unbolt the slave cylinder first, you have to anyway for inspection.

Trust me, get in there with a bright light and check it. I assure you even if the T/O bearing is bad, it is not causing your current problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
No, it clicks into the fork pivot bracket.

Unbolt the slave cylinder first, you have to anyway for inspection.

Trust me, get in there with a bright light and check it. I assure you even if the T/O bearing is bad, it is not causing your current problem.
OK, the problem was the tight space we worked in last night, could hardly maneuver properly to get in there with a light. How would I replace the pivot bracket without pulling the trans IF that's what needs to be fixed or realigned?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

There is nothing that needs realignment, it's either broken or it's not. Just check the thing already

3/8 drive ratchet
1 foot extension
12mm swivel socket

If its broken, of course. I'm pretty sure I've replaced this part in 10 minutes, it's been too long to remember.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
There is nothing that needs realignment, it's either broken or it's not. Just check the thing already

3/8 drive ratchet
1 foot extension
12mm swivel socket

If its broken, of course. I'm pretty sure I've replaced this part in 10 minutes, it's been too long to remember.
Alas, have to wait til tomorrow morning to take her to a tire place where I can put her on the ramp and get easy access to the fork area

OK, so the bracket screws in and out fairly easily? Question is, if it does need replacement is there any way to make the clutch stay without that bracket just for now?
I'm thinking that ordering a new one from Honda will take some time because they probably don't have it on hand :/
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The clutch fork pivot is held on with two bolts, that point backwards into the trans. The pivot itself is a solid hunk of aluminum, with a thin steel spring that grips the fork pivot 'axle' and holds it in place.

The pivot is open on one end. So the forks axle just sort of slides into that open end, with that spring gripping it (note, springs is a bent, flat piece of metal. Not a coil spring).

So you should literally be able to peek inside the hole the fork goes through, and inspect this pivot bracket.

But its all going to be coated with clutch dust, and be hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. So google for images of S2000 bell housing, so you can see what this pivot thing is supposed to look like.

If you do need to replace it, like Billman mentioned it can be done through the opening, but you must take care not to drop old part or bolts into bell housing when you do. So think about how you will do it and proceed thoughtfully.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Check the video I posted again, at the 1 minute mark you can see the bracket clearly after he pulls the fork out.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The clutch fork pivot is held on with two bolts, that point backwards into the trans. The pivot itself is a solid hunk of aluminum, with a thin steel spring that grips the fork pivot 'axle' and holds it in place.

The pivot is open on one end. So the forks axle just sort of slides into that open end, with that spring gripping it (note, springs is a bent, flat piece of metal. Not a coil spring).

So you should literally be able to peek inside the hole the fork goes through, and inspect this pivot bracket.

But its all going to be coated with clutch dust, and be hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. So google for images of S2000 bell housing, so you can see what this pivot thing is supposed to look like.

If you do need to replace it, like Billman mentioned it can be done through the opening, but you must take care not to drop old part or bolts into bell housing when you do. So think about how you will do it and proceed thoughtfully.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Many thanks for this explanation. I'll look up those images now and see what the pivot looks like. Look at this pic. It's the best shot I could get while under there last night:

Name:  DSC_8568.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  194.3 KB
How does it look? Is the bearing where it should be?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Check the video I posted again, at the 1 minute mark you can see the bracket clearly after he pulls the fork out.
Will do!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Here is a small clip that shows how it sits and how easily it should clip in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkWdHfFkjk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkWdHfFkjk

Oh and make sure you remove the slave cylinder first if you haven't already done that.
Wow, it's literally that little piece of metal held in place by one bolt? Going to keep my eyes open for that thing tomorrow when my car is up on the ramp for easy access. Sincerely hope it isn't broken and just needs some "encouragement" with a wrench lol
Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Should the center pole of the fork be greased?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal STUCK! Help?!