S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Pedal Sticking / Notchy

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Pedal Sticking / Notchy

Hey guys, so my clutch has been sticking (just slightly) when lifting off, only more noticeable when slowly letting off the clutch from stop (not noticeable when shifting between gears), the clutch also feels a bit notchy at the lower-end travel. I don't seem to feel these symptoms when pressing on the clutch with the car off.

I've checked the clutch slave cylinder and above my clutch pedal and found no leaks. I've also followed the thread on polishing/re-greasing the cylinder rod, which did not seem to help with the issue.

The issue started a month or so ago and went away for a week before reappearing again. I do drive the car mainly on weekends only so it's been two drives before the issue came back again today.

What else should I be looking at? The clutch fluid does seem to be pretty dirty and I plan on bleeding it soon when I find the time to, could that help?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Throw-out bearing?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Throw-out bearing?
How would I be able to check? the clutch isn't noisy.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Does the clutch make noise when the throw out bearing just makes contact the pressure plate fingers? Noise disappears when you release the clutch pedal?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Does the clutch make noise when the throw out bearing just makes contact the pressure plate fingers? Noise disappears when you release the clutch pedal?
Just started my car, there's a slight noise difference with the clutch in and out (less noise when clutch is depressed), but unnoticeable unless you're really trying to listen for it, I think that's normal?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Yeah. Dunno, what the issue is.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a few come through the shop with a similar symptom. They all had severe galling between the throw out bearing and the guide tube. new bearing and guide tube fixed it.

Also check the push rod on the slave cylinder, the nub can wear out. If you grind it down, make the end round again it might help. Thats worth a shot before you pull the trans.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
I've had a few come through the shop with a similar symptom. They all had severe galling between the throw out bearing and the guide tube. new bearing and guide tube fixed it.

Also check the push rod on the slave cylinder, the nub can wear out. If you grind it down, make the end round again it might help. Thats worth a shot before you pull the trans.
I've removed the push rod, grinded the nub down, polished it to a mirror finish, and regreased it with hi-temp grease. Didn't seem to help with the issue at all.

I'm hoping bleeding the clutch fluid would remedy the issue before resorting to more expensive options. I haven't been hearing any weird noises that worn throw out bearings would cause though.

Thanks for the response, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have exactly the same issue.

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder for new OEM and the hose for a braided line. I also tried a brand new OEM slave but still not fixed.

My clutch was replaced a year ago and I dont think the mechs lubed my TO bearing internally. It has taken about 8 months to manifest into a problem.

Do anybody know how to check the TO bearing, is it a mechanics job or a home on axle stands jobby?

PM me if you find a solution!

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You've got to pull the transmission down

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Sticking / Notchy