S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal sticking...kind of

Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you grease all contact points of the release fork? that solved my problem.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM

I greased the ball end of the rod, all inside of the boot itself, the only thing I didn't do was polish the actual rod part because it wasn't damaged and there was grease in there already. Should I try regreasing the actual slave cylinder where the rod pivots? If it's not new grease will that matter?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM

I have the same issue(!). I did the greasing on the rod and sanding the nipple down. This resolved the catching of the clutch when releasing it, but I know it could still be smoother.. Its very smooth in the morning, but after the car warms up, its nasty again..

bump
Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM

I polished (mirror finish!) the rod ball, sanded off the nipple, and greased the release fork months ago. Still feels like new!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjm00,Nov 20 2008, 07:20 AM
thanks for the input. I'm going to have some free time on Sunday and I'll probably get this done. There is a subtle creak/squeek when I push the pedal in so I'm going to do the grease job. Thanks
my S2000 also has this problem. as a previous poster said, it's two 12mm bolts holding the slave cylinder on. just be careful that when you do that, you keep the open end of the cylinder facing up. i pulled it, but it tipped down, and the piston inside the cylinder fell out, and so did a bunch of clutch fluid. i ended up having to bleed the clutch, and this all happened the day i was supposed to drive home for thanksgiving last week.

perhaps on other peoples' cars, the piston doesn't fall out as easily as it did on mine, but it's just something to look out for. there were several from the mid-A that ran into the exact same problem that i did. the fix is less than half an hour if you don't let the piston fall out, but another hour or so of screwing around (plus having to get another person to help you bleed the clutch) if it falls out.

good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

So I did the whole process again, removed the slave cylinder, greased everything back up, I even bled the fluid. It felt great for the day, then it started sticking again. This leads me to believe it isn't a T.O. bearing issue, because if it was, changing the fluid and regreasing the contact points wouldn't make such a drastic change. My only question is why it keeps going back to crap. It works great for a little bit, then starts getting bad again. Any ideas? I'm about to just buy a new slave cylinder and have the dealership I work for use their machine to bleed the clutch...on a 6 pack of beer to a mechanic kind of job.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one point my clutch assembly and bell housing were pretty much coated with friction material from a worn-out puck FD. The result was a build-up point at the end of the TO slide so it felt like the clutch was sticking at when fully depressed.

The only solution for me was a very through job of cleaning and lubricating components when installing a new clutch (not all shops are as meticulous as they should be when doing this). Mine has been perfect in the years since.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM

I experienced the same symptoms that the OP described starting in early October. I had my clutch disc & pressure plate changed in July (ACT). Before the clutch change, about 1.5 yr ago, I also experienced the sticky clutch symptom. At the time, I bled the clutch and greased up the release fork per the DIY sticky (no pun intended) in the UTH section. That took care of the problem for almost a year. As I mentioned, the problem came back in October, after the clutch change. Since then, I've also bled the clutch and greased up the release fork, and as the OP said, it would only last a day or so. I'm quite puzzled, and don't know what else to try. I'm especially puzzled by the fact that the clutch is fine when the car is cold, and only becomes sticky when it's warm. Could it be the hi-temp grease that I'm using?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM

I used the grease from Honda and I'm about to just replace my slave cylinder completely. Maybe it's bad from contaminated fluid, who knows. Either way I'm pretty sure it isn't the t.o. Bearing. It's very annoying trying to launch the car when it's sticking. I'm wondering if it's possible that there is still air trapped in the line and maybe what feels like a stick might just be that there isn't enough pressure to push the pedal back? Also I noticed that the square boot around the fork is mis shapen and damaged. Could wind be getting in there and pushing the grease out from the cup and ball?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM

When my clutch was sticky about a year or so ago, it was always sticky. Now, it's only sticky when the car is warm. I feel that if the grease is dried from the wind, or if it's being pushed out of the cup, the sticky feel should not depend on operating temperature. In my case, the clutch begins to feel sticky when i get to 3 bars on the temp reading.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal sticking...kind of