S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Pedal Removal

Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch Pedal Removal

Hi guys -

The pad that activates the clutch pedal interlock switch crumble apart on me yesterday. It is the little pad touching the switch labeled 'I' in the picture. There's currently a wadded-up receipt taking its place (I needed some way to get home), but I obviously want a more permanent solution. I can't see any ways to wriggle my hands up above the pedal assembly to replace the pad, so I think I'm going to have to remove the clutch pedal to get this to work.

Is it as simple as it looks? Are all the pedals separate, or are they all part of one assembly that needs to be removed? It looks like the clutch pedal has its own standalone assembly, but it's hard to see under there, and I haven't had the time to look around too much. I can see two bolts holding the clutch pedal assembly to the firewall, but there must be at least one more bolt holding the top of the clutch pedal assembly.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like the clutch pedal assembly is separate, and there are slots for the bolts at the top. Those are going to be fun to try and get to from underneath the dashboard...

Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shouldnt have to take the clutch pedal out for that. Mine crumbled a while back and I stuck a bolt and nut through it (bolt head where the sensor strikes). The plastic pieces are pretty cheap but like you I needed to drive my car and a temporary solution has gone for probably a year or more so whatever, ill leave it.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Why not get those adhesive backed rubber feet and stick it on the mount?

edit: just googled the clutch pedal picture and I see what you're saying. Access to that pad is blind. You can get still get those adhesive pads and poke it with a coat hanger and fish it thru?

edit 2: Alternatively you can bypass that switch all together, which is what I've done. Fortunately you do have access to the connector; all you got to do is short the two pins with a wire or clip.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Shouldnt have to take the clutch pedal out for that. Mine crumbled a while back and I stuck a bolt and nut through it (bolt head where the sensor strikes). The plastic pieces are pretty cheap but like you I needed to drive my car and a temporary solution has gone for probably a year or more so whatever, ill leave it.
This. And can also be done for the brakes too
Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This crap just happened to me while i qas at the bank. I had to tow the car home, i was 4 miles away. Luckily i have the roadside assistance so the tow was free. Im still trying to wrap my head around in how to get that plastic piece in there.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
How did you manage to get a bolt up in there??? I find it physically impossible to do this, I been considering just taking the clutch pedal off as i feel it would be faster than trying to figure this out.. even then, what size bolt did you use??

sorry, just trying to get my car to start and it kinda bothers me that something so simple can give you such a hard time.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:58 AM

If I had my car with me I would check for you.. I probably wont see it until the weekend, though. All I remember is I used a short and small (8mm head?) nut and bolt I had lying around.

If nobody else drives your car it wouldnt be a bad idea to bypass the switch

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/824...bypass-switch/
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 PM

UPDATE: I finally got it after many F bombs and wanting to smash the side of my car with a baseball bat lol.
but this is how I did it.

1. Remove the drivers seat( 4 bolts )

2. Grab a buddy that has a small body, girlfriend/wife/side chick even better.

3. Lay on the car as best as you can look up on the clutch, you will see the spring which should be pink colored. stick your finger up there and feel for the little
hole (lol) once you got the idea, get out of the car and take a deep breath because your in for a good one.

4. grab some double sided tape or roll some tape on your finger and place the stopper on the sticky side.

5. Get back in the car and have your helper grab a pole, preferably from your jack and have him or her press down the clutch.

6. BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL IN THIS STEP PLEASE!! once your helper had pressed down the clutch you will be able to see the hole where you are supposed to put the stopper, try to fiddle the stopper in there and grab an allen key and push it from the right side since you are going to be holding it from the left side with your finger. AGAIN PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR HELPER, IF HE FOR SOME REASON LETS GO OF THE CLUTCH YOU CAN REALLY HURT YOUR SELF.

7.Once you hear the stopper snap in, get your hands clear from the clutch safety interlock and now your helper can let go of the clutch.

8. Turn your car on and rev that sob to 8k/9k lol (warm it up first though hehe)

9.have a cold beer and laugh about it.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had this happen to me this weekend!
first it was the break pedal stopper. i noticed some plastic pieces during the day and finally figured it out at night when the lights would not turn off, as in i was driving around with my break lights lit all day!
solution: i used a fender fastener i think 8mm size. fits in the hole secured and the head of the clip has about the same height as the original stopper.
good thing i threw another spare fastener in the storage unit just in case the one for the clutch fell apart.
little did i know that the clutch had two switches there for needs two stoppers, and just to my luck that week end the next day the one on the top falls apart!

the only good thing was that i was shopping at sears when i noticed more plastic pieces and the car would not start, took me a second to figure out there was another one that was impossible to get to.
went back to sears bought a socket wrench with a extension and a 12mm socket. unscrewed the assembly and disconnected from the push rod. fitted the spare fastener i had and reassembled.
took only another 2 hours to get moving out of the parking lot but was a success!
this was Second time sears was there to save the day when my car broke down!

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Removal