S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Pedal Adjustment Advice Needed

Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Adjustment Advice Needed

So I printed off the clutch adjustment page from the helm manual. I recently had a hardtop guy clutch kit installed along with an ACT lite flywheel. When doing the measurements specified on the clutch pedal adjustment page my measurements are way off from what the factory states they should be. Fully disengaged, my clutch pedal doesn't even make it to 7" and the factor recommends 7.5" which means I am almost a whole 3/4" off. Sometimes I feel like my clutch is not fully engaging or disengaging. I have a feeling that when my new clutch was installed that the pdeal was not adjusted. Could I benefit from a clutch pedal adjustment or are these factory settings not compatible with an aftermarket clutch?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Ya I wouldn't pay attention to the factory settings. But I would adjust my clutch until it felt right. Doesn't take all that long.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ian300D,May 8 2009, 09:41 AM
Ya I wouldn't pay attention to the factory settings. But I would adjust my clutch until it felt right. Doesn't take all that long.
Seems a little odd to be that far off though. What is your reasoning for disregarding the factory settings?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 AM

I'd go with the factory specs. Once you start screwing with the pedal setting, you might get a good feel now but you'll hurt yourself in the long run. The setup was designed for you to be able to tell when your clutch needed replacing. Some folks adjust the pedal and then they never know how to adjust it back.

You could ping SubZero for some gouge on settings. He and Booby run S&R Performance and he has done work on numerous S2000s including his own.

I'd just hate to see you adjust it to get a better feel now and not know how to fix it once your new one is installed. Wonder if anyone owned or adjusted the clutch setting prior?

I have a CCI Stage II and nothing needed to be readjusted.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM

My new clutch was installed about 1,000 miles ago. I was thinking that returning the pedal back to factory specs would make sense because I am basically at 0 miles on my new clutch. So the pedal should wear evenly if I restore the pedal adjustment back to factory specs. I have never messed with the pedal and I can guarantee the previous owner didn't either.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 AM

Yes, put it back to factory specs. We have a hydrolic clutch. Any advise you get from someone about adjusting the pedal, either has/had a wire or is a superior racing tech and tries to maximize feel in order to enhance performance. The later are very few and far between.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM

I would adjust it until you get the engagement where you want it. As far as it potentially not being fully engaged, if you go up a hill in 4th gear and give it a lot of gas and you see the rpm's climb really fast, then yeah it would be slipping/not fully engaged. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 PM

So I put it back to factory specs and the clutch became really loud at idle. So I backed it off and I am right in between where it was and the factory specs and it feels really good and there is no noise. So I think I am good. I'll drive it for a couple days and see how it goes but I think I got the perfect balance right now.